Why variable geometry nozzles are not used on rocket engines

In summary, a variable geometry nozzle like those found on jet engine(iris nozzles) is not used as rocket nozzle to provide better altitude compensation because it would require increased weight, more exotic materials, and (until recently) would only be used once. However, different nozzles/bells are optimal for diferent altitudes and this has been taken care of by using multistage rockets.
granzer
Why is it that variable geometry nozzles, like those found on jet engine(iris nozzles), are not used as rocket nozzle to provide better altitude compensation?

Physics news on Phys.org
This video does not directly answer your question, but it talks a lot but altitude compensation.

Likes billy_joule, granzer and berkeman
While I'm not a rocket designer, I'd hypothesize that it has to do with the cost-benefit analysis of implementing something like that. They'd get more efficient operation, but it would require increased weight, more exotic materials, and (until recently) would only be used once. That's a lot of cost to justify a relatively small benefit.

Likes granzer
anorlunda said:
This video does not directly answer your question, but it talks a lot but altitude compensation.

Haha! A couple of years back I had given a talk on aerospike engine! Recently came across this video and it sparked my interest again it. Lol.
I think Saber engine from UK is going to have a variable geometry nozzle.

boneh3ad said:
While I'm not a rocket designer, I'd hypothesize that it has to do with the cost-benefit analysis of implementing something like that. They'd get more efficient operation, but it would require increased weight, more exotic materials, and (until recently) would only be used once. That's a lot of cost to justify a relatively small benefit.
Thank you. Yup that makes sense. If the cost saved by the increase in efficiency does not enough justify the cost of implementation of such a nozzle.

Likes berkeman
But consider risk as well as cost. The video emphasized that. If you could double the efficiency at the cost of 33% greater risk of project failure, is it worth it? That is a question for project backers, not the engineers.

Likes granzer
It is true that different nozzles/bells are optimal for diferent altitudes, but that has been taken care of by using multistage rockets (different stages operates at different altitudes). The engines on the first stage has different nozzle than on the second (third?) stage.
Anything more would just not worth it (on the actual engines/systems).

Maybe it will be different for future SSTO systems.

Likes granzer

1. Why are variable geometry nozzles not used on all rocket engines?

Variable geometry nozzles, also known as adjustable nozzles, are not used on all rocket engines due to several reasons. One reason is that these nozzles add complexity and weight to the engine, which can impact the overall performance and cost of the rocket. Additionally, variable geometry nozzles may not be necessary for smaller rockets or for missions that do not require precise control of thrust.

2. What are the benefits of using variable geometry nozzles on rocket engines?

The main benefit of using variable geometry nozzles is the ability to adjust the nozzle's shape and size during flight, which allows for more efficient use of the rocket's propellant. This can result in increased thrust and improved performance, especially in high-altitude or low-pressure environments.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using variable geometry nozzles on rocket engines?

One of the main disadvantages of using variable geometry nozzles is the added complexity and cost. These nozzles require additional mechanisms and controls, which can increase the risk of failure and add to the overall cost of the rocket. Additionally, the added weight of the nozzle can also impact the rocket's performance.

4. Can variable geometry nozzles be used on all types of rocket engines?

While variable geometry nozzles can be used on various types of rocket engines, they are more commonly used on liquid-fueled engines. This is because liquid propellants can be easily controlled and manipulated, allowing for more precise adjustments of the nozzle. Solid-fueled rockets, on the other hand, have a fixed nozzle design that cannot be adjusted during flight.

5. Are there any other alternatives to variable geometry nozzles for improving rocket engine performance?

Yes, there are other alternatives to variable geometry nozzles for improving rocket engine performance. One example is using multiple nozzles on a single engine, which allows for more control and flexibility of thrust. Another alternative is using a bell-shaped nozzle, which can provide more efficient thrust in high-altitude environments. Additionally, advancements in materials and design have also allowed for more efficient and lightweight nozzles, which can improve performance without the added complexity of variable geometry.