Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why when two conductors connected by a conducting wire gain the same potential . ?

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    Why when two charged conductors connected by a conducting wire gain the same potential .
    Lets say we have two spheres of different charges why when we connect them by a single copper wire they gain the same potential
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi nishantve1! :wink:

tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:

4. May 8, 2012 #3
    Re: Why when two conductors connected by a conducting wire gain the same potential .

I am new to Electrostatics , first of all I have no idea but still what I am able to figure out is maybe the charges on both become equal but I see thats not much to do with the potential or is it am I right ?

5. May 8, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, well, always start with the definitions, then write out all the equations you know, and see if any of them help …

(btw, that is why the pf homework template requires you to write out the equations first, and please post in the homework sub-forum in future)

DEFINITION:

what is electric potential?

what does it do?​

EQUATIONS:

what equations do you know for electric potential?​

6. May 8, 2012 #5
    Re: Why when two conductors connected by a conducting wire gain the same potential .

Sorry , next time I will definitely post in homework sub forum

Electric potential I know is Work done per charge in bringing it from infinity to a point .
    Electric potential is Like gravitational potential it The closer a test charge is to a electric field source more potential energy it has and thus more Electric potential .
    Electrons flow from higher to lower potential thats what makes electricity flow

V(a) - V(b) = integral from a to b E.dl

E = -dV/dr

V = E.d

Due to a point charge at a distance R the electric potential is Q/4 pi Epsilno0 R

7. May 8, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

mmm … that's only if the potential defined to be zero at infinity (in electric circuits, it usually isn't :wink:)

better is to talk about potential difference

electric potential difference

= potential energy difference per charge

= minus work done, per charge, by the electric field :wink:
    i always get confused about this :redface:, but isn't that for positive charge? :confused:
    ok :smile:, now call the potentials V and W, and apply the above to how an individual charge will move, and how that will affect the potential difference

8. May 8, 2012 #7

oh yeah electrons flow form lower to higher potential .if both the bodies have charge of same polarity say Positive then electrons from one with lower potential say W will flow to one with higher potential V . now what ? the electrons will go and neutralize the positive charge on the other one . And if there polarities were to be different then electrons will flow the same way as above . I am seriously not able to figure out please Help me !

9. May 8, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you're more or less there :smile:

the information you haven't yet used is that there's only a fixed amount of total charge

(i assume the spheres are isolated, ie not connected to any voltage source)

so if the total charge is fixed, what's going to happen? :wink:

10. May 8, 2012 #9

Ok so lets name the spheres there is Sphere A with four Positive charges (just keeping things simple) and is at a higher Potential and the another sphere B has one Positive charge and is at a lower potential .
    {That means the work done per charge on Bringing a test charge from a Point where we assume U to be 0 will be higher in case of A }

Now we connect them by a conducting wire , so the electrons from A will want to flow to B . and since the charge is conserved we have only 5 positive charges in the system .
    Now what the charges on A and B could be like
    5 0
    6 -1
    7 -2
    8 -3

and similarly many keeping the charge +5 constant What happens then

11. May 8, 2012 #10

Hi. Say two charged conductors of charge +Q, -Q form condenser of electrostatic capacity C. So, potential difference is V=Q/C.
    WHY: By current in connecting wire Q decrease so V also decrease.
    WHEN: When Q=0, V=0 same potential.
    Regards.

12. May 8, 2012 #11

I have also learnt that if there are two bodies(with similar characteristics) with charges Q1 and Q2 if they are brought in contact the charges gets distributed like (Q1 + Q2)/2 . Is that the case here

13. May 8, 2012 #12

I get what you are trying to say . but how does charge Q becomes 0 ?

14. May 8, 2012 #13

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that's right! :smile:

so it'll go (it's easier with an even number :wink:)
    6 0
    5 1
    4 2
    3 3 ​

sooo … when the charges are equal, what is the potential difference (and why?)

15. May 8, 2012 #14

When the charges are equal this means that they are at the same potential . So the potential Difference will be zero . Its very easy to understand that Equal charges are at the same potential . Is it like the Potential Energy required in bringing that charge from infinity to a point in space is same for the other charge since they are equal in magnitude . Is there any Mathematical Equation that proves it I mean I tried using

V(a) - V(b) = Integral from A to B E.dr

which should be zero but how ?

16. May 8, 2012 #15

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ooops! :redface:

i thought these were identical spheres, but looking back, they're not

so … correction … the charges won't equalise, although the potentials will equalise

so the question should be, why will the electrons keep moving while the potential difference is non-zero, and stop moving when the potential difference is zero? :wink:

17. May 8, 2012 #16

Hi.
    You say Why Ohm's law V=RI.
    Regards.

18. May 8, 2012 #17

Hi.
    Cancel of Q in positive charge plate and -Q in negative charge plate. Total discharge of battery.
    Regards.

19. May 8, 2012 #18

I am still in Capacitance so No idea about Ohm's law . Also its almost time I have to go to school . If someone please please explain it I will be very thankful . Also if potential difference is zero why will electrons move ? If I am still not Familiar with current Electricity is this question out of the scope ?

@sweet springs I got that but what if both charges were of same polarity and different magnitude ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook