Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Width of a stationary wave packet as a function of time

1. Apr 6, 2016 #1
    Trivial question: If a wave-packet is spreading with time, should the width of the wave-packet grow linearly with time?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not so trivial as the answer depends on the form of the wavepacket itself as well as the Hamiltonian operator.

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    i am talking about a time dependent behaviour of a gaussian wave-packet. [itex] -\frac{h^2}{2m}\frac{∂^2}{∂x}+Vx[/itex]

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does ##Vx## mean?

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5
    I meant V(x) that is the potential. Part of the hamiltonian of the time dependent shrodinger equation

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##V(x)## is unknown, it's impossible to determine the way the wavepacket evolves in time. Even if it is given, only very few forms allow us to perform the calculation analytically.

8. Apr 6, 2016 #7
    Ok so if V(x) is zero?

9. Apr 6, 2016 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##V(x)=0## corresponds to a free particle and it can be solved analytically in momentum space. Suppose your initial wavepacket is ##|\psi_0\rangle##. The wavepacket at time ##t## is ##|\psi(t)\rangle = \exp(\frac{-iHt}{\hbar}) |\psi_0\rangle## where ##H = p^2/(2m)##. Then use the completeness relation in momentum basis
    $$
    |\psi(t)\rangle = \int dp' \hspace{2mm} e^{\frac{-iHt}{\hbar}} |p'\rangle \langle p'|\psi_0\rangle
    $$
    Now just plug in the initial Gaussian wavepacket in momentum space ##\psi(p,0) =\langle p|\psi_0\rangle## and compute the integral. From this point on, it's up to you whether you want to express the final state in position or in momentum basis. The momentum basis representation is easy, you just need to calculate
    $$
    \langle p|\psi(t)\rangle = \int dp' \hspace{2mm} \langle p|e^{\frac{-iHt}{\hbar}} |p'\rangle \langle p'|\psi_0\rangle
    $$
    Since ##e^{\frac{-iHt}{\hbar}} |p'\rangle = e^{\frac{-i\hat{p}^2t}{2m\hbar}} |p'\rangle = e^{\frac{-ip'^2t}{2m\hbar}} |p'\rangle##, the above equation becomes
    $$
    \langle p|\psi(t)\rangle = \int dp' \hspace{2mm} e^{\frac{-ip'^2t}{2m\hbar}} \langle p|p'\rangle \langle p'|\psi_0\rangle = e^{\frac{-ip^2t}{2m\hbar}} \langle p|\psi_0\rangle
    $$

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted