Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wigner function as average value of parity

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1

naima

Gold Member

I found two definitions of wigner function on space time. the first uses a fourier transform of ##\rho (q+ y/2,q-y/2)##
    the second uses the Weyl transformation and parity operator ## exp (i \pi \theta N)##
    where N is the occupation number operator.
    Could you give me a link which shows the equivalence of the definition?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2

naima

Gold Member

the first definition is
    ##w_\rho (q, p) = (2π\hbar)^{−1} \int <q − y/2|ρ|q + y/2> e^ {i \pi y/\hbar} dy## (read Ballentine)
    the other is
    ##w_\rho (q+i p) = 2 Tr(\rho D(p+iq) e^{i \pi a^\dagger a} D(-q -ip)##
    (read Man'ko page 8)
    I cannot prove that it is the same thing.

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3

naima

Gold Member

I found the answer in this paper.

The proof needs the Campbell identity where the commutatot = constant.
    [tex]Exp( i \frac{p_0 \hat {x}}{ \hbar}) Exp(i \frac{-x_0 \hat {p}}{ \hbar}) = Exp (i \frac{p_0 \hat x -x_0 \hat p + x_0 p_0/2 }{ \hbar} ) [/tex]
    So
    [tex]Exp( i \frac{p_0 \hat {x} - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) Exp(i \frac{-x_0 \hat {p}}{ \hbar}) = Exp (i \frac{p_0 \hat x -x_0 \hat p }{ \hbar} ) = D(\alpha] [/tex]

[tex] D(\alpha) = Exp( i \frac{p_0 \hat {x} - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) Exp( x_0 \partial_x)[/tex]
    with
    [tex] <x|D(\alpha)|\Psi> =
    Exp( i \frac{p_0 x - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) \Psi(x+x_0)[/tex]

We have to compute
    [tex] 2 Tr(\rho D(x+ip) e^{i \pi a^\dagger a} D(-x -ip)[/tex]
    [tex] = 2 <\Psi|D(\alpha) e^{i \pi a^\dagger a} D^\dagger(\alpha)|\Psi>[/tex]
    It may be seen as a double sum of
    [tex] = 2 <\Psi|D(\alpha)|y><y| e^{i \pi a^\dagger a}|x><x| D^\dagger(\alpha)|\Psi>[/tex]
    [tex]\int \int Exp(- i \frac{p_0 y - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) \Psi^*(y+x_0)<y| e^{i \pi a^\dagger a}|x> Exp( i \frac{p_0 x - x_0 p_0/2}{ \hbar}) \Psi(x+x_0)[/tex]
    It can be shown that ##<y| e^{i \pi a^\dagger a}|x> = \delta(y+x)## so after one integration we get (up to a normalizing constant) the formula of the first definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook