Expectation values as a phase space average of Wigner functions

In summary, to prove that [\Omega] = \int dq \int dp \, \rho_{w}(q,p)\,\Omega_{w}(q,p), we can use Fourier transforms of the matrix elements to show that the expectation value of an operator can be calculated using the Wigner function and the Wigner representation of the operator.
Gabriel Maia
Hi. I'm trying to prove that

[tex][\Omega] = \int dq \int dp \, \rho_{w}(q,p)\,\Omega_{w}(q,p) [/tex]

where

[tex]\rho_{w}(q,p) = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar} \int dy \, \langle q-\frac{y}{2}|\rho|q+\frac{y}{2}\rangle\,\exp(i\frac{py}{\hbar})[/tex]
is the Wigner function, being \rho a density matrix. On the other hand
[tex]\Omega_{w}(q,p) = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar} \int dy \, \langle q-\frac{y}{2}|\Omega|q+\frac{y}{2}\rangle\,\exp(i\frac{py}{\hbar})[/tex]
is the Wigner representation of the operator I'm interested in. The expectation value of an operator can be calculated from

[tex][\Omega] = Tr(\rho\Omega) = \int dp \, \langle p|\rho\Omega|p\rangle[/tex]
[tex]= \int dp^{\prime} \int dp \, \langle p|\rho|p^{\prime}\rangle\langle p^{\prime}|\Omega|p\rangle[/tex]

Now, the matrix elements [tex]\langle p | \rho | p^{\prime} \rangle \,\,\, \mathrm{and} \,\,\, \langle p | \Omega| p^{\prime} \rangle[/tex]

Should lead to the Wigner function and the Wigner representation of the operator but they only do so if
[tex]p=p^{\prime}[/tex]

Do you know how can I solve this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to this problem is to use a Fourier transform of the matrix elements. That is, we can write\langle p | \rho | p^{\prime} \rangle = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}\int dy \, \langle p-\frac{y}{2}|\rho|p+\frac{y}{2}\rangle\,\exp(i\frac{py}{\hbar})and \langle p | \Omega | p^{\prime} \rangle = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}\int dy \, \langle p-\frac{y}{2}|\Omega|p+\frac{y}{2}\rangle\,\exp(i\frac{py}{\hbar}).Substituting these expressions into the expectation value equation yields[\Omega] = \int dq \int dp \, \rho_{w}(q,p)\,\Omega_{w}(q,p),as desired.

1. What is an expectation value in the context of phase space and Wigner functions?

An expectation value is a mathematical concept that represents the average value of a physical quantity in a given system. In the context of phase space, it is calculated as a weighted average of the Wigner function, which is a mathematical representation of the probability distribution of a quantum state in phase space.

2. How is the expectation value related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely one property of a particle is measured, the less precisely the other property can be known. In the context of expectation values and Wigner functions, this means that the narrower the Wigner function (representing a more precise measurement), the larger the uncertainty in the expectation value of the conjugate variable.

3. Can the expectation value be negative?

Yes, the expectation value can be negative in certain cases. This can occur when the Wigner function has a negative value in certain regions of phase space, indicating a probability of finding the particle in that region. The negative expectation value represents the average value of the observable in those regions.

4. How is the expectation value calculated in practice?

In practice, the expectation value is calculated by performing a phase space average of the Wigner function. This involves dividing the phase space into small regions and multiplying the Wigner function by the observable in each region. The results are then summed and divided by the total volume of phase space to obtain the expectation value.

5. What is the significance of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

Expectation values play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they provide a way to calculate the average value of an observable in a quantum state. They also help to predict the outcome of measurements and determine the probability of a particle being in a certain state. Additionally, the concept of expectation values is closely related to the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle.