Will a stiffer spring help my Newton Scooter travel 1.5 meters?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter islandboy401
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Newton Scooter
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
islandboy401
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I am trying to construct a Newton Scooter (one powered by Newton's Third Law) using a spring. Basically, I am supposed to make the scooter travel 1.5 meters. I've tried using a spring from a retractable pen, but the vehicle I constructed seems to be going nowhere. It seems as though too much of the spring's energy is being dissipated.

I know that the force exerted by a spring depends on the Spring Constant (k) and the distance compressed (x).

Thus, I just wanted to ask, should I get a stiffer string for my purpose or a easily compressible one? Do stiffer-springs have greater spring constant values? Is there a way I can efficiently transfer all of the Spring's potential energy into kinetic energy for the vehicle?
 
Physics news on Phys.org