Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will ferromagnetic dust retain magnetism in molten aluminum?

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    Curie temperature for magnetite is 858 C, for iron 1043 C. Duralumin melting point is about 630 C. Does this mean that if I take a small silicone mold, place a magnet underneath it, add ferromagnetic powder to the mold and then pour molten aluminum in, I will get the aluminum detail with permanent magnetic field ?

P.S. Aluminum will probably burn in magnetite, but what about pure iron ?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Silicone?

The powder could stick to the ground.
    Where do you get magnetized iron powder from?

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3
    They use silicone molds for metal casting, some of the powder might stick, but I'm curios if it will spread over liquid metal as it does in ferromagnetic fluids. I only had home-made magnetite powder so far, made with file, hammer and a DIY ball-mill. I was thinking that industrial waste steel powder will do the trick if placed next to a magnet in the glass container.

5. Feb 4, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Curie temp for iron is 1043 °K, or about 770 °C; for magnetite it's 858 °K (585 °C)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperature

The M.P. for aluminum is 660 °C. You've got to pay attention to the correct temperature scale here.

6. Feb 6, 2016 #5

JBA

Are you trying to create an aluminum sculpture of a magnetic field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook