Will ferromagnetic dust retain magnetism in molten aluminum?

In summary, the Curie temperature for magnetite is 858 °K (585 °C) and for iron it is 1043 °K (770 °C). Duralumin has a melting point of 630 °C. This means that pouring molten aluminum into a silicone mold with a magnet and ferromagnetic powder will result in an aluminum detail with a permanent magnetic field. However, aluminum may burn in the presence of magnetite. It is unclear if pure iron will work. The correct temperature scale must be considered for this process.
Nick23
Curie temperature for magnetite is 858 C, for iron 1043 C. Duralumin melting point is about 630 C. Does this mean that if I take a small silicone mold, place a magnet underneath it, add ferromagnetic powder to the mold and then pour molten aluminum in, I will get the aluminum detail with permanent magnetic field ?

P.S. Aluminum will probably burn in magnetite, but what about pure iron ?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Silicone?

The powder could stick to the ground.
Where do you get magnetized iron powder from?

Likes Nick23
Silicone? The powder could stick to the ground. Where do you get magnetized iron powder from?

They use silicone molds for metal casting, some of the powder might stick, but I'm curios if it will spread over liquid metal as it does in ferromagnetic fluids. I only had home-made magnetite powder so far, made with file, hammer and a DIY ball-mill. I was thinking that industrial waste steel powder will do the trick if placed next to a magnet in the glass container.

Nick23 said:
Curie temperature for magnetite is 858 C, for iron 1043 C. Duralumin melting point is about 630 C. Does this mean that if I take a small silicone mold, place a magnet underneath it, add ferromagnetic powder to the mold and then pour molten aluminum in, I will get the aluminum detail with permanent magnetic field ?

P.S. Aluminum will probably burn in magnetite, but what about pure iron ?
The Curie temp for iron is 1043 °K, or about 770 °C; for magnetite it's 858 °K (585 °C)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperature

The M.P. for aluminum is 660 °C. You've got to pay attention to the correct temperature scale here.

Are you trying to create an aluminum sculpture of a magnetic field?

1. What is ferromagnetic dust?

Ferromagnetic dust is a type of dust that contains particles of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, that can be attracted to a magnet.

2. Will ferromagnetic dust retain magnetism in molten aluminum?

Yes, ferromagnetic dust will retain its magnetism in molten aluminum. Despite being in a liquid state, the aluminum will not affect the magnetic properties of the dust particles.

3. Why is it important to know if ferromagnetic dust retains magnetism in molten aluminum?

This is important because if the dust does retain its magnetism, it can potentially cause issues in industrial processes that involve melting aluminum, as the dust could potentially be attracted to and accumulate on magnetic surfaces.

4. How can I test if ferromagnetic dust retains magnetism in molten aluminum?

You can test this by placing a strong magnet near the molten aluminum and seeing if the dust particles are attracted to it. Additionally, the magnetic properties of the dust can be measured before and after being exposed to molten aluminum to determine if there is any change.

5. Is there a way to prevent ferromagnetic dust from retaining magnetism in molten aluminum?

Yes, there are ways to prevent this. One method is to use non-magnetic materials for the surfaces that come in contact with the molten aluminum. Additionally, the dust can be treated with a coating that reduces its magnetic properties.