Will ferromagnetic dust retain magnetism in molten aluminum?

Curie temperature for magnetite is 858 C, for iron 1043 C. Duralumin melting point is about 630 C. Does this mean that if I take a small silicone mold, place a magnet underneath it, add ferromagnetic powder to the mold and then pour molten aluminum in, I will get the aluminum detail with permanent magnetic field ?

P.S. Aluminum will probably burn in magnetite, but what about pure iron ?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Silicone?

The powder could stick to the ground.
Where do you get magnetized iron powder from?

Likes Nick23
Silicone? The powder could stick to the ground. Where do you get magnetized iron powder from?
They use silicone molds for metal casting, some of the powder might stick, but I'm curios if it will spread over liquid metal as it does in ferromagnetic fluids. I only had home-made magnetite powder so far, made with file, hammer and a DIY ball-mill. I was thinking that industrial waste steel powder will do the trick if placed next to a magnet in the glass container.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Curie temperature for magnetite is 858 C, for iron 1043 C. Duralumin melting point is about 630 C. Does this mean that if I take a small silicone mold, place a magnet underneath it, add ferromagnetic powder to the mold and then pour molten aluminum in, I will get the aluminum detail with permanent magnetic field ?

P.S. Aluminum will probably burn in magnetite, but what about pure iron ?
The Curie temp for iron is 1043 °K, or about 770 °C; for magnetite it's 858 °K (585 °C)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperature

The M.P. for aluminum is 660 °C. You've got to pay attention to the correct temperature scale here.

JBA
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you trying to create an aluminum sculpture of a magnetic field?