Will I need the Physics GRE after an MS?

In summary, the conversation discussed whether having a good masters degree in physics would waive the Physics GRE requirement for most US schools. It was also mentioned that some schools may allow waiving of course requirements if the applicant met them during their undergraduate or masters program. The conversation also touched on the competitiveness of the applicant's resume and the reputation of their undergraduate university. Finally, it was recommended to contact the specific programs the applicant is interested in to inquire about their specific requirements and whether an MS would waive the Physics GRE.
Slvtmong00se
Hello.

Pretty self explanatory. Does having a good masters degree in physics waive the Physics GRE requirement for most US schools?

Going to get an MS from : Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey
Hoping to go for PhD to: a good US school, TBD. Looking at Stony brook, or in general unis from top 20-50.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you still have to/should take the PGRE if the school requires/recommends it. You will also not be exempt from qualifying exams, but some schools allow you to waive some course requirements if you met them with your msc or during your undergrad, as well as take a free swing at the qualifier upon arrival if you want to. Look for the "graduate handbook" of the departments you are looking to apply to, the conditions for this are usually explained there.

Pakistan has truly awful schools. Nobody in your last thread has ever heard of Bilkent. And now you want to skip the GRE? I think you are greatly overestimating how competitive your resume will look.

Vanadium 50 said:
Pakistan has truly awful schools. Nobody in your last thread has ever heard of Bilkent. And now you want to skip the GRE? I think you are greatly overestimating how competitive your resume will look.

He said Turkey, not Pakistan.

According to his other thread, he did his undergraduate in Pakistan, which is probably what led to the confusion.

I went to a unknown US university and got accepted to some good grad programs (PhD). I wouldn't worry about how your university ranks.

Physics_UG said:
I went to a unknown US university and got accepted to some good grad programs (PhD). I wouldn't worry about how your university ranks.

Big difference.

dipole said:
Big difference.

This is true.

Thanks everybody!

Vanadium_50 I don't *want* to skip the Physics GRE - If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the material covered for the GRE be very helpful for PhD quals as well?

I was just wondering if a masters can stand in for the Physics GRE as an admission requirement. I was naively expecting that doing well on graduate courses (masters) using standard textbooks (Sakurai, Jackson, Arfken & Weber, etc) and a good masters thesis would also demonstrate suitability for a PhD.

Also, like I said in my earlier thread, people don't seem to have heard of Bilkent, but their alumni seem to do alright which suggests to me that the school isn't necesarrily seen as bad in the US:

http://www.fen.bilkent.edu.tr/~physics/html/alumni.htm

Am I missing or misinterpreting something here?
Any further information or advice would be appreciated.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think you are greatly overestimating how competitive your resume will look.
Considering in the other thread he said he doesn't think he can get into a US grad school, and he himself said Pakistan has terrible schools, I think you are misrepresenting what he is asking here.

Likes 1 person
Depends on the program I would imagine. Some schools might think an MS is worthy of waiving some requirements, others maybe not. I know that the graduate program I went to didn't really care if you had an MS or not. Well, many of the foreign students had a Masters, but they were still required to do all of the coursework and meet all of the entry requirements. Write the programs you are thinking of applying to and see what they say.

That being said, you will probably look more attractive to a program if you took the Physics GRE and got a high score and had an MS than if you tried to waive the GRE requirement.

1. Will having an MS in physics exempt me from taking the Physics GRE?

No, having an MS in physics does not automatically exempt you from taking the Physics GRE. Some graduate programs may require you to still take the exam, while others may waive the requirement based on your previous coursework and academic performance.

2. Can I still apply to graduate programs in physics if I don't take the Physics GRE?

It depends on the individual graduate program's requirements. While some programs may allow you to apply without taking the Physics GRE, many programs do require it as part of the application process. It is best to check the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

3. Will my MS in a related field exempt me from taking the Physics GRE?

It is possible that having an MS in a related field, such as engineering or mathematics, may exempt you from taking the Physics GRE. However, this varies from program to program and you should check with the specific graduate programs you are interested in to see if they will waive the requirement.

4. Can I use my Physics GRE scores from my MS application for my PhD application?

Yes, some graduate programs may allow you to use your Physics GRE scores from your MS application for your PhD application. However, you should check with the individual programs to confirm if this is possible.

5. Is it recommended to take the Physics GRE after completing an MS in physics?

It is recommended to take the Physics GRE after completing an MS in physics if you plan to apply to PhD programs in physics. Many graduate programs require the Physics GRE as part of the application process, and having a recent score can strengthen your application. However, if you are not planning to continue your education in physics, taking the Physics GRE may not be necessary.