Will my undergrad school know this? (or even when I apply for grad school?)

In summary: Another point is that most colleges allow you to...Receive credit for courses you've already taken. Receive credit for courses you've already taken.
jaun888
I am a senior in high school and I am taking a college class at a local community college. After this year, if I decide not to take the transfer credit, can I reject it? So I can take the course again at my new undergrad again?

Like basically abandon the transfer credit and grade? Will my undergrad know of this? It's not on my high school report card (duh...) or anything. It's like concurrent studies.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone help?...

Please...someone...

Also, when I apply for grad school, is it okay to hide this fact?

This is probably something a combination of your high school, that community college and your undergrad institution can answer for certain, but I would say yeah why wouldn't you be able to retake a class if you so desired? But are you asking if you can actually hide the fact that you took it from the school? You probably could by not sending them the transcript from the CC but why would you want to?

Interesting...

Last edited:
Ask the school, but all colleges and universities I've seen ask for transcripts from ALL previously attended schools. If you don't give it to them and they find out, you will probably be kicked out.

ibnsos said:
Ask the school, but all colleges and universities I've seen ask for transcripts from ALL previously attended schools. If you don't give it to them and they find out, you will probably be kicked out.

But aren't I applying as a freshman?...

jaun888 said:
But aren't I applying as a freshman?...

Yes but if the school to which you're applying requires transcripts from *all* schools attended, and you don't send it, you could get kicked out as ibnsos said. Now, I don't know how common that is. But my advice to you is, don't take a chance. Send all transcripts, if they are required.

And yes, retaking the class won't be an issue. You just have to pay twice.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to refuse the credit from the classes you've already taken?

lisab said:
Yes but if the school to which you're applying requires transcripts from *all* schools attended, and you don't send it, you could get kicked out as ibnsos said. Now, I don't know how common that is. But my advice to you is, don't take a chance. Send all transcripts, if they are required.

And yes, retaking the class won't be an issue. You just have to pay twice.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to refuse the credit from the classes you've already taken?

Poor gpa = no future in grad school because they read applicants like papers...(at least that's how I feel)

jaun888 said:
Poor gpa = no future in grad school because they read applicants like papers...(at least that's how I feel)

I've never heard of the actual grades from classes taken during high school (at a CC or not) being transferred over. They simply count as credit. But again, this is something to ask advisors at your respective schools.

jaun888 said:
I am a senior in high school and I am taking a college class at a local community college. After this year, if I decide not to take the transfer credit, can I reject it? So I can take the course again at my new undergrad again?

Like basically abandon the transfer credit and grade? Will my undergrad know of this? It's not on my high school report card (duh...) or anything. It's like concurrent studies.

thanks

They probably won't know about it unless you tell them officially and try to transfer the credits in.

The summer before I went to university for electrical engineering, I took Calc I class at another college just to get a leg up on the studies, and because I was chomping at the bit to start learning. I got an A, but didn't transfer the course over to my University. I took Calc I again (and got another A) mostly to stay in the standard track and have all of the official prerequisites for further courses. This summer-course has never appeared in any records and I haven't even thought of it in years until you brought up this question.

I never once thought about the previous poster's point about the school requiring all transcripts, but I was already accepted to the school when I took the course. Of course, if they state that as a policy officially, it's better to not take a chance. If you don't know, call and ask them. Perhaps I took a chance without even realizing it. I think the bigger issue is if you are trying to hide bad grades, which wasn't true in my case and hopefully wouldn't be true in your case.

Another point is that most colleges allow you to audit a class. Usually you can sit in on the class for a lower fee, and you don't get a grade. This might server your purposes.

This is going to sound weird, but when does GPA really start to count in Canada/USA? in undergrad?

It isn't just 3rd and 4th year courses right?...

jaun888 said:
This is going to sound weird, but when does GPA really start to count in Canada/USA? in undergrad?

It isn't just 3rd and 4th year courses right?...

In my experience, a college or university will consider all courses taken to obtain your degree. There may be some exceptions about retaking courses, transferring courses or dropping out and coming back years later, but basically it all starts freshman year and ends when you get your degree.

Where I teach, we do not include courses taken elsewhere in our GPA, even if we give credit for them towards degree requirements. If you re-take a course, only the most recent grade enters into the GPA. Otherwise, we include all courses taken here, from freshman year onward.

What happens if you apply to grad school? I mean it really don't look grade to retake a course just to boost your GPA.

jaun888 said:
What happens if you apply to grad school? I mean it really don't look grade to retake a course just to boost your GPA.

It's OK to do it once or twice, although I never did myself. Assuming you haven't failed the course, which might force you to retake it if it is a required course, the motivation might be to learn, rather than improve the GPA. It's possible that you had a bad teacher (I had an alcoholic teacher that would fall into the blackboard, but I just taught myself and didn't retake the course), or had a family problem or heartbreak (I experienced both, but always somehow learned the important stuff, fortunately).

jaun888 said:

For most universities, you have to apply to get credit. Most people who have tried to get credit in college for courses taken in high school have had the opposite problem in that it can be a struggle to have the college take credit for the course.

I really don't think you need to worry about it, since the odds are that you won't be able to get useful transfer credit for the course, even if you want it.

jaun888 said:

By the time you apply for grad school, what you did in high school will be ancient history that no one will really care much about.

twofish-quant said:
For most universities, you have to apply to get credit. Most people who have tried to get credit in college for courses taken in high school have had the opposite problem in that it can be a struggle to have the college take credit for the course.

I really don't think you need to worry about it, since the odds are that you won't be able to get useful transfer credit for the course, even if you want it.

My university (according to an official transfer guide) takes the credit, so I am okay.

By the time you apply for grad school, what you did in high school will be ancient history that no one will really care much about.

But don't they say I need to report everything ?

yes you have to report everything but at that point it doesn't have as much weight as other factors

jaun888 said:
My university (according to an official transfer guide) takes the credit, so I am okay.

But don't they say I need to report everything ?

Yes, report it and it won't matter much as "proof" said.

Still don't worry too much about this. Above, I gave my example about that course I took the summer before college. I never reported that course for graduate applications, simply because I forgot about it. It was never an issue at all.

The bottom line is that a grad school is not going to scour the Earth trying to find one course that you took long ago and didn't report. If you didn't report it and they found it somehow, they would likely overlook it. Still, there is no need to deceive. If you remember at the time of applications, report it. If you forget about it by then, it will be no problem.

Won't they not even bother looking at your application because you made them look for that one course?

jaun888 said:
Won't they not even bother looking at your application because you made them look for that one course?

How would you make them look for that one course? They will review the material you provide them in the application, and use their own standard procedures for background checking (I have no idea what that entails). If you forget to report something, it has no effect on what they will do.

The only risk is if they find something you didn't report and then believe your were trying to deceive them. If you don't tell them about 10 courses you took which were all F's, then they are going to assume you lied on purpose. If you forget that you took one college level course before starting your undergraduate work, they will probably give you the benefit of the doubt. If you got an F in that course, then it might hurt you slightly. If you got an A in the course, then it will be clear to them that an honest mistake was made.

The bottom line is to be honest, and don't take a needless risk.

1. Will my undergraduate school be informed about my grad school applications?

No, your undergraduate school will not be directly informed about your grad school applications. However, they may be contacted by the admissions committee for a letter of recommendation or to verify your academic record.

2. Will my undergrad school know about any research or publications I have done during my undergrad years?

It depends on whether you have listed your research and publications on your resume or application. If you have, then your undergraduate school may be aware of them. Otherwise, they will not be informed unless contacted by the admissions committee for verification.

3. Will my undergraduate school affect my chances of getting into grad school?

Your undergraduate school can play a role in your grad school applications, but it is not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider your academic record, test scores, letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statement.

4. Do I need to mention my undergraduate school in my grad school application?

Yes, you should mention your undergraduate school in your grad school application. It is important to provide a complete academic history and demonstrate the foundation of your academic journey. Your undergraduate school can also serve as a reference for your academic abilities.

5. Will my undergraduate school know if I am accepted into grad school?

Yes, your undergraduate school will be informed if you are accepted into grad school. This is typically done through your official transcripts, which will be sent to your undergraduate school to show your completion of a higher level degree.