Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will object with speed near the speed of light become black holes?

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

and we know that when object travels near the speed of light it gains infinite mass, so does it means that it becomes a black hole?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Travels near the speed of light" relative to what? Speed is always relative to a given observer. Are you saying that wheter or not a star is a black hole depends upon the observer?

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    I am saying that when object travels near the speed of light (300'000 km/s relative to the point where it started to move), it gains infinite mass (from Einstein's formula E = mc2). So object with infinite mass will become a black hole (wikipedia link in my first post). If it is NOT true than tell me why?

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

6. Oct 22, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You yourself, RIGHT NOW, are moving at 99.99999% of the speed of light relative to some frame of reference. Are you a black hole?

7. Oct 22, 2012 #6
    CERN would have done it by now if it were that easy :P

8. Oct 22, 2012 #7
    Yes you are true but I am NOT moving with the speed of light relative to my starting location. This is very important. Object can't move faster than speed of light relative to it's starting position.

None is telling you that it is easy

9. Oct 22, 2012 #8
    first of all, a black hole does not have infinite mass.

furthermore, anything with a definite rest mass can never reach the speed of light.

photons, with zero rest mass, have a definite momentum.

10. Oct 22, 2012 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I take it you either did not bother to read, or else did not understand, the explaination given at the link provided.

11. Oct 22, 2012 #10

Can't move faster than light relative to ANY position. So why is the starting position important?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
  12. Oct 22, 2012 #11
    Here is a nice trick to resolve such difficult comparisons:

Your 'starting location', whatever that means is irrelevant, the above works for ALL observers.

The quote above is a generalized statement relating to phinds post:

In addition, your original question:

is impossible to realize because no mass can travel at speed 'c'....

13. Oct 22, 2012 #12

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Please reconsider phinds' point here. As he said, there are reference frames where you are moving at .9999999 c. Furthermore, your objection is both irrelevant and wrong. It is irrelevant because the speed wrt the starting location is not important in physics and wrong because you can move faster than c away from your starting location in any frame where your starting location is moving. (assuming that by starting location you are thinking of an object rather than a coordinate).

14. Oct 22, 2012 #13
    i think no,black holes create when a star dies,in this case there will be no formation of black holes

15. Oct 22, 2012 #14
    This has already been explained in several ways, but here's one more try: a black hole is assumed to form when the proper mass (also called rest mass, or just mass) reaches a critical value. Many laws/descriptions are only valid for an object "in rest" and this is one of them.

16. Oct 27, 2012 #15
    Indeed initial mass is important here. When an object gaines speed we might say it gaines mass, but only because mass is calculated as force/accelleration. Also the extra mass is only measured in the direction of the moving object. Happily at the LHC the protons become 700 times heavier (at 99.9999*c) to get them around but not heavier relative to earth.
    Another remark I like to make is that when an object travels near the speed of light the fysical laws do not change. It does not become smaller or heavier. Only to some external observer it is an object with high kinetic energy and very hard to push any further.

17. Oct 27, 2012 #16
    There is no such thing as 'infinite mass', which is why it's impossible for an object with nonzero invariant (rest) mass to accelerate to light speed in the first place. You can't pour unending amounts of energy into a system to make it move at c, because unending amounts of energy don't exist.

Also, only a bit unrelated to your question is bringing the quantum fluctuations of the type associated with virtual particles into the argument. Because, even if an infinite amount of energy could manifest due to such fluctuations (it can't, as far as I know), the energy would have to be 'repaid' to the vacuum within the limit of uncertainty of the measurement, which is a very short interval. In other words, it's not "usable" energy.

18. Oct 27, 2012 #17
    Quite right. That's basic SR, which states that "The laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference." It's also an integral part of GR in the (generalized) form of the equivalence principle, which boils down to the postulate that the laws of physics are the same in ALL frames of reference, inertial or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook