Will putting a wood shelf on a TV stand distribute the TV's weight?

• I
  • Thread starter whitecollar23
  • Start date
whitecollar23
TL;DR Summary
Trying to determine if putting a wood shelf on top of a TV stand will distribute the weight of a heavy TV enough to prevent sag in the center of the top board of the stand.
This is the TV stand I want to buy: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/p...vs-up-to-80-w004939229.html?piid[0]=818726787

But reviews said heavy TVs cause the center of the top of the TV stand to sag (shown in photos in one-star reviews).

I own a 77-inch LG C3 TV that has a stand at its center.

I also own this IKEA lack shelf: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lack-w...cks_Store_and_organise_furniture&gad_source=1

I plan to put the shelf on top of stand and then the TV on top of the shelf.

My question: Will the shelf will distribute the TV's weight across the entirety of the stand's top so it doesn't lag in the middle?

Physics news on Phys.org
whitecollar23 said:
My question: Will the shelf will distribute the TV's weight across the entirety of the stand's top so it doesn't lag in the middle?
In theory it will help, especially when the extra board is wider than the central gap in the stand.

At least as long your heavy TV doesn't break through this: "Filling material: Honeycomb structure paper filling (100% recycled)"

Welcome, @whitecollar23 !

It seems that it will sag eventually.
The location of the two vertical partitions is bending the bottom horizontal panel (note location at leg-leg midspan).
Then, that bottom panel is forcing the top panel to deform via the end vertical panels.

I would use the wall bracket of the IKEA shelf and support all the weight of the TV from the wall.
A dedicated TV wall bracket would also work, providing a cleaner solution.

default_name.jpg

1. Will putting a wood shelf on a TV stand distribute the TV's weight evenly?

Yes, placing a wood shelf on a TV stand can help distribute the weight of the TV more evenly. This can prevent the TV from putting too much pressure on one area of the stand, reducing the risk of damage.

2. Can adding a wood shelf affect the stability of the TV stand?

Adding a wood shelf to a TV stand may or may not affect the stability of the stand, depending on the design and construction of both the stand and the shelf. It is important to ensure that the shelf is securely attached and does not cause the stand to become unbalanced.

3. Will a wood shelf provide better support for a heavy TV?

A wood shelf can provide additional support for a heavy TV by spreading the weight across a larger surface area. This can help prevent the stand from sagging or becoming damaged over time.

4. Is it safe to place a wood shelf on top of a TV stand?

As long as the TV stand is designed to support the weight of both the TV and the shelf, it should be safe to place a wood shelf on top of the stand. It is important to follow any weight limits or guidelines provided by the manufacturer.

5. Can a wood shelf help prevent the TV stand from scratching or damaging the TV?

Placing a wood shelf on a TV stand can help protect the TV from scratches or damage by providing a smooth and even surface for the TV to rest on. This can also help reduce the risk of the TV slipping or sliding off the stand.

Back