Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cold Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 173K views
marcusl said:
Those are some high snow berms! On the other hand, be glad you all live on streets that get plowed...

The Chicago suburb that I live in has been very diligent in plowing the streets, even in the residential area. It's one of the reasons we don't mind paying some of property taxes.

Zz.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Another storm on the way - due here by Saturday.
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/45242/thank-you-may-i-have-another-s.asp

Next several winters could be similar if not worse

Accuweather's Joe Bastardi: Three of Next Five Winters Could be as Cold or Colder
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/45220/bastardi-three-of-next-five-wi-1.asp

"Current La Nina Signals More Cold Winters Ahead"

Snow-way! That's ridiculous. I didn't ksnow winter could be this atrsnowcious.
 
Topher925 said:
Snow-way! That's ridiculous. I didn't ksnow winter could be this atrsnowcious.

Topher's going crazy...:-p!
 
lisab said:
Topher's going crazy...:-p!

Me? Go crazy? I don't think snow! I will not tolerate such insnowlence! Maybe its lisab who is the psychsnow, pretending to act all snowrmal.
 
Snow is slowing here. I hope it stays that way, or stops entirely soon. Long day of clean-up tomorrow either way, but totals can effect my ability to find places to stow it all. Then, it's time to tractor up and down the road to see if my neighbors want me to cut back their snow-banks for better visibility. I have cut back some areas of lawn for that purpose, but neighbors who rely on plowing don't always plan that far ahead. I'll probably have to cut back snow banks along the road opposite their drives and shove that snow back to make room for the banks that I'll cut back.
 
Topher925 said:
Me? Go crazy? I don't think snow! I will not tolerate such insnowlence! Maybe its lisab who is the psychsnow, pretending to act all snowrmal.
:smile:
 
Don't give up hope Chicago.
"[URL spots scores of potentially livable worlds
[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
:smile:

You have snow idea how bad it is Evsnow. I've been stuck at home all day studying for a math exam on polysnowmials. I went outside but kept running into snowmen I couldn't see because they were all albisnow. I tried going to the taco bell down the street but I ran into snowmen that were latisnow. I then came home to watch TV but the only thing on was Jay Lesnow.
 
Topher925 said:
You have snow idea how bad it is Evsnow. I've been stuck at home all day studying for a math exam on polysnowmials. I went outside but kept running into snowmen I couldn't see because they were all albisnow. I tried going to the taco bell down the street but I ran into snowmen that were latisnow. I then came home to watch TV but the only thing on was Jay Lesnow.

Snow use fighting it...just sit and find snowlutions.
 
D H said:
Texas statewide is suffering rolling blackouts. While the temperature here is not that cold by northern standards, our power plants were not built for these kinds of temperatures.

The blackouts started around 6 AM, the first was twenty minutes off, twenty on. Then twenty off, ten on. Now it is over an hour off, ten minutes on.

It looks like I'm in for a cold day with rather intermittent internet access.

dlgoff said:
Well I knew that there was an island there but there are also DC ties to other parts of the grid.

The Texas Interconnection is tied to the Eastern Interconnection with two DC ties, and has a DC tie and a VFT to non-NERC systems in Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Interconnection"

Mexico comes to the rescue. They're going to be using that tie to Mexico to import some power.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j6SCHnPxjU1OIxvjl6kuMS_TmCaQ?docId=CNG.2ac7cf34584c6f23ffb15e6f2a95d861.691"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's cold and windy enough to freeze pipes in a heated water closet in my apartment...

Speaking of which, I'm fortunate that my parents live in town. They've been gracious enough to take me for a few days (beginning Tuesday) while plumbers and other contractors work on my flooded, top-floor apartment.

So long as I cook for them! I've got split pea and ham soup on for this evening.
 
Perfect day today! Sunny, hit 20 deg F as a high, and no wind. It's always a pain cleaning up after a large storm, but it's a lot more pleasant if we don't have to deal with howling winds hauling down below-zero air from the arctic.
 
mugaliens said:
It's cold and windy enough to freeze pipes in a heated water closet in my apartment...

Speaking of which, I'm fortunate that my parents live in town. They've been gracious enough to take me for a few days (beginning Tuesday) while plumbers and other contractors work on my flooded, top-floor apartment.

So long as I cook for them! I've got split pea and ham soup on for this evening.
Sorry to hear about the flood.

Right now I've got a small stream of water going in the Kitchen sink to make sure the pipes don't freeze here tonight. But the temps aren't going to be like this morning; -15°F.
 
D H said:

I've been thinking about moving south since I hate winter so much. Now it appears no place is safe.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
I've been thinking about moving south since I hate winter so much. Now it appears no place is safe.
:smile:

I hope MIH sees this, we both lived in Houston.
 
dlgoff said:
I've been thinking about moving south since I hate winter so much. Now it appears no place is safe.
Tucson would be safe from snow. Miami, too, but there are hurricanes and other disincentives.
 
turbo-1 said:
Tucson would be safe from snow.
Arizona or bust. :!)
 
Another balmy winter day here. High temp of 25 deg F with just a light breeze and plenty of sun. Depending on the track of the next little weather-maker, we could get more snow tomorrow.

Father, let this cup pass from me. I could use a couple of weeks of yesterdays and todays.
 
D H said:


Wow, something in spoken English that I was able to understand.

Although the thermometer is out of this world. Here, in Poland, that's not surprising. But in Texas?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Wow, something in spoken English that I was able to understand.

Although the thermometer is out of this world. Here, in Poland, that's not surprising. But in Texas?
It's a comedic montage, Borek. Lots of shots of extreme weather, but not of Houston getting extreme weather. For Houston, "extreme" is an inch of snow or icy roads that will melt the next day.
 
Watching the national news tonight. It seems that Dallas-Fort Worth has gotten several inches of snow just in advance of the Super Bowl. This qualifies as a horrible natural catastrophe, there. I wouldn't bother plowing it.
 
turbo-1 said:
For Houston, "extreme" is an inch of snow or icy roads that will melt the next day.
Even the mention of such weather here is enough to make schools and businesses close (in advance!) and to make everyone go buy a month's worth of groceries the night before the storm hits. I couldn't have gone to work this morning even if I wanted to because of road closure. I didn't want to because I know how Houstonians drive under such conditions.
 
Evo said:
:smile:

I hope MIH sees this, we both lived in Houston.
Ditto. I remember watching the traffic on 59 when it snowed. I didn't have a problem with snow - but everyone else seemingly did.

Houstonians don't drive well when it rains. Snow is a hardship.
 
These stories are bringing back memories of one time when I was driving in Kentucky. The highway was completely dry and a few medium sized snowflakes began to fall from the sky. It was obvious that it wasn't going to last more than a minute and it wasn't going to affect the road. That didn't stop the guy in front of me from nearly slamming his brakes though. :rolleyes:
 
turbo-1 said:
Watching the national news tonight. It seems that Dallas-Fort Worth has gotten several inches of snow just in advance of the Super Bowl. This qualifies as a horrible natural catastrophe, there. I wouldn't bother plowing it.
You think the "nose bleed seats" prices will drop below $4000? I was shocked at the cost to go the the Super Bowl. Let it snow, let snow.
 
Well, it has warmed up again in Tucson (mid 60s), but half the pipes in the city busted during the freeze. My place of work had to shut some of its buildings down due to flooding (busted pipes). This city is just not made for weather in the teens like we got last week. The various tropical plants have taken it on the shorts too. We will have to watch in see over the next year how many cacti we lose. It has been a rough week for plumbing and flora around here.
 
Last edited:
Is it rubbing it in if I send texts to my snowed-in sister in Dallas mentioning that I am going to the pool?
 
Evo said:
:smile:

I hope MIH sees this, we both lived in Houston.

Guffaw! So true! :smile: