Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 173K views
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
My neighbor and I went to the Fedco tree sale last spring and he went in and bought me 4 open-pollinating blueberry bushes, so I didn't have to dodge all the patchouli-people. He had a grin on his face when he came back out. It seems that they had one bush left of a variety called Duke, so he bought one. The bushes are setting on berries quite well this year, and Duke is twice as tall as the other 3.
Andre
- 4,296
- 73
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Yay, Fall is here! A Canadian coldfront is pushing in tonight and the forecast for the next 10 days is highs in the low 70's and low's in the low-mid 50's! WOOT!
DL, does Roger have her flannel nighties?
DL, does Roger have her flannel nighties?
Science Advisor
- 4,430
- 327
-40 is coming soon here!
Jimmy
- 771
- 38
It's 100° F here (KY) but come Monday it will drop to the lower/mid 70s.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
AWWWW, you're such a good daddy!dlgoff said:![]()
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Bad storm! The skies have opened.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
I heard a news item today that this summer was the hottest on record. Maybe in Texas and the central US, but in the NE, it's been rather mild and relatively cool, and certainly not the hottest we've had. We've had one of the wettest periods, and that's not been good for farmers. Too much flooding!
BloodyFrozen
- 353
- 1
Yeah, here it's around 76°F here and clear skies
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
We never broke 70 deg here today, which was nice, since I got the chance to grill nice rib-eyes for my wife, father and brother, along with steaming corn on the cob. My wife made a nice potato salad, spruced up with my bread-and-butter pickles and she baked a nice batch of baked beans. Combined with cucumbers, carrots, and dip, and a fresh salsa that was 100% from our garden, we had a feast on the deck. I love fresh salsa with corn chips. Tomatoes, green peppers, onions, chilies, cilantro, etc, all from 75 feet away in the garden. Can't get much fresher than that.
Summer has been 'way too sunny, hot, humid, or wet for us to spend much time out there this year. I could stand a whole year of this weather!
BTW, Maine has frost advisories in low-lying areas for tonight. I hope this hill-side garden allows at least some of my hottest chilies to ripen so that I can make relishes.
Summer has been 'way too sunny, hot, humid, or wet for us to spend much time out there this year. I could stand a whole year of this weather!
BTW, Maine has frost advisories in low-lying areas for tonight. I hope this hill-side garden allows at least some of my hottest chilies to ripen so that I can make relishes.
BloodyFrozen
- 353
- 1
turbo said:We never broke 70 deg here today, which was nice, since I got the chance to grill nice rib-eyes for my wife, father and brother, along with steaming corn on the cob. My wife made a nice potato salad, spruced up with my bread-and-butter pickles and she baked a nice batch of baked beans. Combined with cucumbers, carrots, and dip, and a fresh salsa that was 100% from our garden, we had a feast on the deck. I love fresh salsa with corn chips. Tomatoes, green peppers, onions, chilies, cilantro, etc, all from 75 feet away in the garden. Can't get much fresher than that.
Sounds delicious:!)
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
When we have a cookout, it's time to reset some bars. It's just nice that it is cool and dry enough now for me to function outside, so I can grill steaks, visit, chat, etc. The last month or so, the air has felt like mud - very heavy and wet. We are getting very wet weather while parts of the south (Texas, most notably) are suffering drought, parched crops and the threat of wildfires.BloodyFrozen said:Sounds delicious:!)
We may someday yearn for a return to the days when "Baby it's cold outside".
BloodyFrozen
- 353
- 1
turbo said:When we have a cookout, it's time to reset some bars. It's just nice that it is cool and dry enough now for me to function outside, so I can grill steaks, visit, chat, etc. The last month or so, the air has felt like mud - very heavy and wet. We are getting very wet weather while parts of the south (Texas, most notably) are suffering drought, parched crops and the threat of wildfires.
We may someday yearn for a return to the days when "Baby it's cold outside".![]()
Agreed. We don't have nearly enough space to grow the amount you do.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
It's been in 40's or 50's at night, and 60's or low 70's during the day - and mostly rain. We've had more flooding in low lying areas. There are folks in town still without electricity because of flooding. It was probably a bad idea to build homes with basements, when the homes are along side a creek.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Same here. Fall is usually beautiful here, but this summer's drought turned many leaves brown and many have already fallen.Astronuc said:It's been in 40's or 50's at night, and 60's or low 70's during the day - and mostly rain.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
- 2,358
- 1,274
Here in the UK, it's definitely not cold. England is having the hottest October day since records began, with temperatures up to 29.9C (85.8F), and Wales has also had its hottest October day on record.
BBC news report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15137832"
Where I am, near the south coast, it's not quite that hot, but it's still over 75F in the shade.
BBC news report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15137832"
Where I am, near the south coast, it's not quite that hot, but it's still over 75F in the shade.
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I remembered at the last minute to bring my peppers in.dlgoff said:Dang. It was 35°F this morning here. I hope this isn't a sign for an early winter.
Dembadon
Gold Member
- 660
- 88
I woke up this morning to a 1/2 inch of snow on my car.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I always love the first snow. Then not so much.Dembadon said:I woke up this morning to a 1/2 inch of snow on my car.
When I lived in upstate NY, the local tv station would have their annual "guess which day we'll have our first 6" snow. Of course the first snow in Sept could be 18".
Evo Child was born in a blizzard on Oct 3rd there.
Dembadon
Gold Member
- 660
- 88
Evo said:I always love the first snow. Then not so much.
When I lived in upstate NY, the local tv station would have their annual "guess which day we'll have our first 6" snow. Of course the first snow in Sept could be 18".
Evo Child was born in a blizzard on Oct 3rd there.
I usually don't mind it. I think this time it was just the fact that I wasn't expecting it. Additionally, I had a dresser in the back of my truck that I found on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it. It was in decent shape, so I was going to refinish it for my younger sister who needs a new dresser, but it got wet and will probably warp when it dries.
Last edited:
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
An arctic high is pushing in, and the temperature is probably going to be in the 40s before the afternoon is over. Clear and cold tonight, with frosts expected. I doubt that the frost will be severe, so I'm going to leave my chilies on the plants hoping to get a bit more ripening in the milder weather expected for the end of the week.
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
I just got back inside after spending the afternoon reading in the sun. I guess it was about 72 degrees give or take. Perfect weather for being outside.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,643
- 1,602
Yesterday, it was -2 (28F) when I got up, but the temperature rose to 15 (59 F) in the afternoon.
Normal current: overnight low = 0 (32F); afternoon high = 12 (54F).
Normal current: overnight low = 0 (32F); afternoon high = 12 (54F).