Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cold Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 174K views
Evo said:
Are the salt trucks out? People just don't realize how dangerous this slushy stuff can be.
The plows have been out once. In our area, they've declared a state of emergency, so folks are supposed to stay home. The objective is to prevent accidents and keep the roads clean. The roads are very bad because they are above freezing and the air temp is only 30F. The snow was a heavy wet snow for about 5 hrs, then is turned to a granular, powdery snow or sleet, and now it's back to small flakes, and the snowfall is not as heavy.

They may wait until the snow stops to plow again.

We've got about 8 inches, and about 15 miles north of us, they have 11 inches. Lots of trees are down, and about 85,000 people are without power, which is not fun at night, and without heat.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is every normal variation in the weather these days a "national state of emergency?"

When I was young, it snowed, we shoveled. It rained and flooded, we sandbagged. We had multiple days above 100, power outages, water outages, thunderstorms, gust fronts, hurricanes, and tornadoes.

When it subsided, we cleaned up and moved on.

A couple of things we did and didn't do: We didn't build on a flood plain, or if we did, we built on stilts. If we built in tornado alley, we had an underground shelter, and didn't put tons of money into the house. In hurricane country, we chopped down any trees which posed a threat to the house, and kept our cars garaged.

We stockpiled water in jugs. Food in cans. We had a gas-powered chainsaw, and a block and tackle for clearing debris. Some of us had a generator, and we'd sometimes gather in one person's house for comfort because they could run A/C. We'd bring food and water as a way of saying "thank you." We'd work at night if the heat during the day was too much.

I recall one summer during a power outage we merely stayed wet in cotton clothing just to beat the daytime heat for three days until power was restored. In the old days, they did the same thing, but simply sweated into their clothing.

Every variation in the weather is normal. It's happened millions of times over the billions of years. Since when did normal become a crisis or a disaster? "Disasters" are normal. If people aren't prepared, it's Darwin's fault.

Back to the question: Since when did normal become a crisis or a disaster? Since media became involved? Since people lost the skill/art of basic human survival? Since people figured out how to scam the government for big bucks to cover what they were too lazy to prevent with a few simple and cost-effective measures ahead of time?

Call me stupid, but when I couldn't afford a tree guy, I watched one for two days then bought a pair of spurs and cut my own. "Sacrilege!" you say. Guess what his training was? He watched a guy for a day or two, and started doing the same.

Have we lost the basic survival skilled called "self-sufficiency?"

What's going on, here?
 
Borek said:
Welcome to the 21st Century.

So everyone needs their hand held these days?
 
DoggerDan said:
So everyone needs their hand held these days?

Stick with your buddy, and hold hands as you cross the street.
 
Supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow morning.
 
Local towns have opened up fields where folks can dump branches, and I saw lots of people hauling branches in pickup trucks and/or on trailers. I even saw branches/trees on power lines - still - after 6 days. And there are still people without power. Most of the snow has melted. I've go a bit of cleaning up to do myself. Two of our trees lost one or more branches.

It's been below freezing the last several nights, but 40s or 50s during the day, and it's supposed to warm up to the 60s during the next couple of days.
 
I finally got my garlic in the ground today. I didn't want to wait any longer in case we got more wild/cold weather. There are still too many leaves on my fruit trees to make pruning them viable (visibility problems), but that has to be done soon, in part to address storm damage and properly balance the trees before winter. Lost branches due to the heavy wet snow.

Central Maine Power sent line-crews to NH to help restore power, and now they are headed to CT to help out there. As of Friday, there were still over 300K customers without power in CT. CMP is volunteering 30 two-man repair trucks with buckets, so that should help.
 
I saw an out-of-territory crew in our area this morning. I couldn't tell if they were from out of state, or just a neighboring utility.

There is still a lot of work to do around our area.
 
Astronuc said:
I saw an out-of-territory crew in our area this morning. I couldn't tell if they were from out of state, or just a neighboring utility.

There is still a lot of work to do around our area.
I believe that there was a crew form Kansas City that went there; KCPL.
 
It's not cold, but cool enough for rain. YEA! It's been so long since I've heard thunder.
 
dlgoff said:
It's not cold, but cool enough for rain. YEA! It's been so long since I've heard thunder.
You've got thunder?? No fair, I've just got rain. :frown:

Make sure our chicken child, Roger, stays warm and dry.
 
Evo said:
You've got thunder?? No fair, I've just got rain. :frown:

Make sure our chicken child, Roger, stays warm and dry.
Well, only three of four lightning bolts ... wait, there's another.

I closed Rogers windows, put in a higher wattage bulb, and adjusted the lights timer about a week ago when the temps starting to dipping to freezing. When it starts to get really cold, she'll have a heat lamp and a water heater in her house.

A happy Roger will give us good eggs.
 
dlgoff said:
Well, only three of four lightning bolts ... wait, there's another.

I closed Rogers windows, put in a higher wattage bulb, and adjusted the lights timer about a week ago when the temps starting to dipping to freezing. When it starts to get really cold, she'll have a heat lamp and a water heater in her house.

A happy Roger will give us good eggs.
:!) You are so good to her!

I can not thank you enough for the delivery of Roger eggs! I have been eating grits and Roger eggs every day. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
 
Evo said:
I have been eating grits and Roger eggs every day.
How have you been preparing them? Lately I've been using my steamer and poaching two, covering with salsa and having with wheat toast. YUM
 
dlgoff said:
How have you been preparing them? Lately I've been using my steamer and poaching two, covering with salsa and having with wheat toast. YUM
Over easy in butter. I wish I had some salsa.

I think I'm going to make a quiche.

I wish I had asked you to include a feather. I've never had a chicken before. I'm pretty excited.
 
Evo said:
I wish I had asked you to include a feather. I've never had a chicken before. I'm pretty excited.
I've haven't seen her shed a feather since the encounter with the fox. And since there's no roosters, she's slick and shinny.

BTW. This was a little while ago for Roger and I.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40762&stc=1&d=1320712962.jpg
 
Attachments
  • rain.jpg
    rain.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 460
dlgoff said:
I've haven't seen her shed a feather since the encounter with the fox. And since there's no roosters, she's slick and shinny.

BTW. This was a little while ago for Roger and I.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40762&stc=1&d=1320712962.jpg
Good grief, hope she's not afraid of thunder!

Looks like that won't get here until 9pm.
 
Wednesday night and yesterday morning, 15 cm (6 inches) of snow fell here. This morning, I had a 25 minute walk at -16 C ( 3 F).
 
Last edited:
George Jones said:
Wednesday night and yesterday morning, 15 cm (6 inches) of snow fell here. This morning, I had a 25 minute walk at -16 C ( 3 F).
Brrrrrrr!
 
My truck was all white with frost this morning. In the "heat of the day" we have climbed all the way up to 42 deg.
 
Ok, it's going to get up to 70F here today, but with 40-50 MPH winds.

Don - make sure roger is wearing her lead booties if she goes out, don't want her being blown away. :eek:
 
Evo said:
Ok, it's going to get up to 70F here today, but with 40-50 MPH winds.

Don - make sure roger is wearing her lead booties if she goes out, don't want her being blown away. :eek:
Will do. I might get a wind detached feather for you. She did shed a tail feather that I kept but I'm waiting for a nice long red wing feather.

The small wind generator I'm making will be used to provide Roger with some of the comforts of home. This wind is perfect for it's initial test.
 
dlgoff said:
Will do. I might get a wind detached feather for you. She did shed a tail feather that I kept but I'm waiting for a nice long red wing feather.

The small wind generator I'm making will be used to provide Roger with some of the comforts of home. This wind is perfect for it's initial test.
Oooh, you're wonderful! An electric fireplace (for safety), flat screen tv, music system. I heard mellow music encourages egg laying.
 
We're in line to get 8-12" of snow starting later tonight and into tomorrow. I'm as ready as I can expect to be, given the circumstances, but there is still stuff that I'd like to get done.
 
We're expecting snow in Maine down here too, but nothing locally. I know for you the first 3 inches don't count, but it looks like you're in for more than twice that. Did you get that snowblower with the heated cabin?
 
I have a walk-behind snow-blower for the light stuff (maybe 6-10 inches) with no cabin at all, and a tractor with a bucket in case the snow is really deep and/or wet. We can never tell with these early storms.
 
George Jones said:
Wednesday night and yesterday morning, 15 cm (6 inches) of snow fell here. This morning, I had a 25 minute walk at -16 C ( 3 F).

Here in eastern Montana, on Thursday night November 17, the low was -2° F ( -18.9° C ).

I didn't have to go for a walk, though... lol

We have about the same amount of snow as you do, also... typical weather for this time of year.Just for some fun information, if anybody would like to reply... what's the lowest temperature you've ever experienced?

It was -52° F ( -46.7° C ) here, for a couple of days... think it was 1986, or there about, I don't remember the month.

OCR