Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cold Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 174K views
Really i am getting fried here in my place and you are freezing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
adjacent said:
Really i am getting fried here in my place and you are freezing?
Half the country is having snow and freezing weather.
 
I would really be happy to have snow.I have never experienced it here.
 
Cold can be a headache for home owners

 
Last edited by a moderator:
^ I've never seen or heard of anything like this! A "galloping" ground glacier in a flat region? Does this qualify as a true glacier? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? It seems to be either a very fast glacier or a very slow avalanche if the ground has some slope to it.
 
Last edited:
I saw something similar back in the winter of 1963 (though no houses involved) when the river Humber in the UK froze. When the ice broke up, a combination of wind and tide pushed a layer of broken ice across a road running along the river bank.

That was a bit more exciting to watch, because there were "mini ice floes" 10 feet across being forced up on end and then collapsing and breaking up. You could hear the noise from several miles away.

In that case there was no property to damage - though ironically the ice took out all the marker posts showing the road position and water depth when the road flooded at high tides, which happened a few times every year.
 
Talking of ice, I think we just had summer in the UK. There were couple of days of temperatures into the low 20s (C) and now the forecast is heading back below 10.

Still, think positive - It's too cold for the grass to grow, so it doesn't need cutting!
 
AlephZero said:
I saw something similar back in the winter of 1963 (though no houses involved) when the river Humber in the UK froze. When the ice broke up, a combination of wind and tide pushed a layer of broken ice across a road running along the river bank.

That was a bit more exciting to watch, because there were "mini ice floes" 10 feet across being forced up on end and then collapsing and breaking up. You could hear the noise from several miles away.

In that case there was no property to damage - though ironically the ice took out all the marker posts showing the road position and water depth when the road flooded at high tides, which happened a few times every year.

Yeah. This could be wind driven ice and snow off a nearby lake, especially if the lake level is elevated. I got hung up on the word "glacier". There haven't been any glaciers in Minnesota (US) for over 12-14,000 years. They don't form in a single season or move at that speed.
 
Last edited:
Temperatures last night dropped into the 30sF. I sure hope that we have a spring and it doesn't just go into searing heat.
 
In the NE US, we've had days up to the mid 80s F (~30 C), and I been mowing the grass since mid April. The blueberries have flowered. However, this coming week, we have frost warnings.
 
Andre said:
Cold can be a headache for home owners

That's pretty freaky if you don't know any better. It looks like a frozen Tsunami >.>
 
Andre said:
Somehow I get associations with the Nenana ice classic. But the bets are closed to when the tripod starts to drift, stopping the clock. My bet is May 10th 5:15 pm. It looks like the http://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/ice.htm# this year is not exactly the least of the records

It's still there.

Obviously I lost. Meanwhile, http://www.ktva.com/news/local/Breakup-Watch-Nenana-Ice-Classic-Clock-Gets-Hooked-Up-this-Weekend-207050251.html . It appears that http://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/2013%20Side%20B.pdf latest breakups on the 14th of May. The record of 20 May in 1964 doesn't look likely to be met, yet

"I don't know if it's going to make it another 10 days or not," Forness said on Friday. "It might hang in there.

"It would be cool it if it did," she said.

Excellent pun.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We have had heavy frosts the last two night in a row. Fortunately, we anticipated May frosts and only planted frost-resistant stuff outside like sweet peas and broccoli.
 
I'm loving this cold front, highs in the 70's lows in the 50's! High predicted for Monday is only 72F! low tonight 56F. It's been a fairly cool summer, no complaints.
 
High yesterday and Wednesday was 29 C (84). Predicted high for tomorrow is 17 C (63 F).
 
Wow, revised weather forecast, today's high only in the mid 60's F. Record breaking low temps. Sweater weather in what should be the dog days of summer.

LOVE IT!
 
Last edited:
It is not really that cold yet, but I did walk (20 minutes) my seven-year-old daughter to school at -18 C (0 F) this morning.
 
George Jones said:
It is not really that cold yet, but I did walk (20 minutes) my seven-year-old daughter to school at -18 C (0 F) this morning.
It was close to 60F here yesterday and today the high is supposed to be 38F, cold air predicted all week.
 
Hmm, that's plenty cold enough. Here in Colorado it's snowing and 10F (-12C). Since the walks and roads were warm from a week of beautiful sunny weather, the first hours of light snow flakes yesterday afternoon melted upon contact. Now we have 8 inches of snow over a layer of slick ice. I'm telecommuting today!
 
We've had an unusual cold snap here, but we're through it now. Highs here today in the upper 30s (about 3 or 4 C)...and it actually feels warm!
 
Getting warm here too; high of -2C = 28 F tomorrow. There is, however, a prediction of a 15 cm - 25cm (6 to 10 inches) snowfall over the next 36 hours.
 
George Jones said:
a prediction of a 15 cm - 25cm (6 to 10 inches) snowfall over the next 36 hours.

We are really getting dumped on. Now total expected snowfall is up to 40 cm = 16 inches. Lots of people getting stuck in parking lots, including the parking lots here at work. Hope the bus makes it up the hill, so I can go home in a couple of hours.
 
7 deg F and snowing. It's going to be a white Christmas, unless some huge reversal shows up.

When I was a teen, I babysat for my aunt and uncle's kids, and had to keep an eye on my aunt's aunt. She was quite talkative, and told me that she didn't want a green Christmas because "old people die" when that happens.
 
turbo said:
It's going to be a white Christmas, ...
Got your roof rake out? Look like you're going to need it?
 
They've changed the snow forecast here to maybe some between 4-5 AM. I'm not complaining. dl, are you even predicted to get any?
 
George Jones said:
We are really getting dumped on. Now total expected snowfall is up to 40 cm = 16 inches. Lots of people getting stuck in parking lots, including the parking lots here at work. Hope the bus makes it up the hill, so I can go home in a couple of hours.

Ended up getting between 40 and 50 cm (between 16 and 20 inches).

http://ckpg.com/another-dump-of-snow-hits-city-video

Wife got stuck in the parking lot.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones said:
Ended up getting between 40 and 50 cm (between 16 and 20 inches).

http://ckpg.com/another-dump-of-snow-hits-city-video

Wife got stuck in the parking lot.
I hope you and your wife made it home ok. I've been in a couple of blizzards.

Most discouraging was when I had been out of town when a blizzard had hit at home. I flew back the next day, but due to delays, my flight didn't arrive until after midnight. It was a small airport, and they had basically already closed. I had to call security in order to get a lift out to the remote parking where my car was. When I got there and we figured out that a wall of snow was my car (the plows had formed that impenetrable WALL OF ICE behind it). It was below zero.
 
Last edited by a moderator: