Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cold Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 173K views
Evo said:
I hope you and your wife made it home ok. I've been in a couple of blizzards.

Most discouraging was when I had been out of town when a blizzard had hit at home. I flew back the next day, but due to delays, my flight didn't arrive until after midnight. It was a small airport, and they had basically already closed. I had to call security in order to get a lift out to the remote parking where my car was. When I got there and we figured out that a wall of snow was my car (the plows had formed that impenetrable WALL OF ICE behind it). It was below zero.
Have you thought about writing a travel book? You seem to have all the fun. :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It has been very warm here (0C = 32F right now) for more than a week. Where I used to live, Brandon Manitoba, was, however, very cold this morning, -38C = -36F with a windchill of -51C = -60C.
 
It's a balmy 0°F (-18°C) now, according to the local weather service, but our backyard thermometer indicates -3°F (-19°C) and the low is supposed to be -8°F by 3 am.

It's also a bit breezy. We had about 6 to 8 inches of powdery snow, which packed into a crunchy layer.


Meanwhile - it's going to get a wee bit cooler for some.

http://news.yahoo.com/39-polar-vortex-39-blast-frigid-air-over-231228456.html
 
Last edited:
Gah, we got about 4-5 inches of snow last night, which means I will have to dig my car out and it's COLD and WINDY. I have a garage, but I use it for storage.

I just checked the weather forecast, they're calling for more snow in a couple of hours, and the windchill right now is -10F. I just don't have the appropriate winter clothing for weather this cold. When I lived in upstate NY, I had a thick thermal coat, gloves, snow boots. I haven't even seen snow boots for sale here, just fashion boots and combat looking boots.
 
Last edited:
Here in Northern California (Redding @ 40° 33’N), the temperature at 12:53 PM is 68° with clear sunny skies. On the other hand, we’re having our driest winter on record; and the farmers and ranchers are worried.
 
Right now, we are sitting at ~12°F, with a windchill of ~5°F, dug out the truck at noon, about 7 inches snow. Took more time to shovel the neighbors driveway than mine, we squeeze everything in, leaving about 20 sq ft of area to clean up.

I feel for those fools in Green Bay, I am toasty warm and having a nice cup o joe and enjoying the game more than they are...
 
It was -51c with the windchill here this morning, colder temperatures projected for the rest of the week. -.-
 
KrisOhn said:
It was -51c with the windchill here this morning

If I remember correctly where you live, -51°C counts as a mild Spring.
 
around 13°C over here, I'm waiting for winter. Will happen late I suppose. (To reference, I live in Belgium)
 
Borek said:
If I remember correctly where you live, -51°C counts as a mild Spring.

Hahaha, sadly.
 
We had a high temperature of 75o F today (that's 24o C for the rest of you yahoos) today in Southern California. That's unseasonably warm. I made the mistake of wearing a jacket when I left my house. I had to carry it around for the rest of the day.
 
collinsmark said:
We had a high temperature of 75o F today (that's 24o C for the rest of you yahoos) today in Southern California. That's unseasonably warm. I made the mistake of wearing a jacket when I left my house. I had to carry it around for the rest of the day.
Ya scum! :-p
 
collinsmark said:
We had a high temperature of 75o F today (that's 24o C for the rest of you yahoos) today in Southern California. That's unseasonably warm. I made the mistake of wearing a jacket when I left my house. I had to carry it around for the rest of the day.

Evo said:
Ya scum! :-p
ditto
 
hovering around 0'C for weeks now, by this time everything should be buried in snow, guess that means I can practice my snowshovelling in late April.
 
Yesterday morning, the temperature was about 20°F (-6.7°C). This morning, the temperature is 55°F (13°C), and last night we had rain and high winds. Tomorrow morning, the temperature is predicted to be around 10°F (-12°C).

Most of the snow melted last night, and with the rain, it usually means flooding in the vicinity of rivers and streams.
 
36F and raining here. The ground is frozen and branches and wires are very cold, so we're getting lots of ice.

I'd like to go out and get the newspaper, but I'm going to wait until it gets light out. There is no sense in trying to walk in the dark on wet ice.
 
There's such a thick fog outside, I literally had to drive at the velocity of 12cm/year, traffic jams everywhere...panika! I'm staying home, screw that.
 
It's funny watching Americans complain about snow. Last year the winter began in October with a bang: We were hit with 3 days of blizzards and afterwards we got temperatures as low as -20 degrees Celsius here in Trondheim.

This year is really weird though. For the majority of Norwegians there wasn't any snow on christmas, and temperatures have rarely fallen below 5 degrees Celsius. I wish we got a decent snow-storm like the one going on at the east coast, so I could finally go skiing.. :(
 
Last edited:
Nikitin said:
It's funny watching Americans complain about snow. Last year the winter began in October with a bang: We were hit with 3 days of blizzards and afterwards we got temperatures as low as -20 degrees Celsius here in Trondheim.
It is even funnier when you have a few modulus signs handy...
:devil:
 
St Joseph's Lighthouse on Lake Michigan
 
Attachments
  • induro-john-mccormick-frozen-light-st-joseph-lighthouse.jpg
    induro-john-mccormick-frozen-light-st-joseph-lighthouse.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 433
Enigman said:
It is even funnier when you have a few modulus signs handy...
:devil:

Minor details. :biggrin:
 
Nikitin said:
It's funny watching Americans complain about snow. Last year the winter began in October with a bang: We were hit with 3 days of blizzards and afterwards we got temperatures as low as -20 degrees Celsius here in Trondheim.

-20 Celsius is -4 Farenheit; many parts of the country are getting closer to -35 Celsius.
 
Wow has it become that bad? That's significantly colder than even inland-Norway! You have my symphaties. Must be hard for you Americans,,, considering your lack of viking blood to resist the cold
 
Office_Shredder said:
-20 Celsius is -4 Farenheit; many parts of the country are getting closer to -35 Celsius.

And just a handful of degrees colder than that, it doesn't matter which scale you use (Fahrenheit or Celsius).
 
Need some of that cold weather over here in SoCal, snowboarding this season has been slightly lame, and my blueberries are flowering cause they're confused by the 70/80 Fahrenheit tempature.

Now I'll stop whining about my first world problems. :cool:

Hope all those hit by the storm stay safe.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
St Joseph's Lighthouse on Lake Michigan
I love those frozen lighthouses.
 
Evo said:
I love those frozen lighthouses.

"those"?

There are more?

Sorry. It doesn't often drop below freezing out here, so we rarely see such things.
 
It's so cold here that people aren't updating their Facebook status while they're walking outside! :eek: