Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 174K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
His pee might freeze mid air.lisab said:Will he even agree to go, at those temps? Or will he go on a pee strike?
Andre
- 4,296
- 73
That's nothing
Mark Twain
it was so cold that the mate's shadow froze fast to the deck and had to be ripped loose by main strength. And even then he got only about two-thirds of it back.
Mark Twain
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
It is going to flood this spring when this finally DOES melt... oh boy is it going to flood.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
It's going to be much colder tomorrow. I hope your pipes will be ok.dlgoff said:I got up to make coffee just now and no water. Turns out that the water meter is frozen. So I took a propane torch to it. Ahhhh Coffee.
Baby it's cold out.
BobG said:Just hope he doesn't try to pee on a fire hydrant. That hurts ten times worse than having your tongue frozen to a flag pole.
It stayed in double digits here ... wait ... what's that dash before the temperature mean? Aaaaagh!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Consider covering it in plastic and then burying it under some compost and bark mulch. That should keep it warm until spring.dlgoff said:Thanks. The water meter is on the northwest corner of the property where the wind howls. I'll keep a small stream of water running until we're out of this cold snap.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Good idea. In the past I've stuffed insulation down in the hole and was going to today thinking it would be okay until then. It's full of R-19 now.Astronuc said:Consider covering it in plastic and then burying it under some compost and bark mulch. That should keep it warm until spring.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Put the insulation in a plastic back. Air is a good insulator, but wet (soaked) insulation doesn't insulate very well. Compost decays and produces heat.dlgoff said:Good idea. In the past I've stuffed insulation down in the hole and was going to today thinking it would be okay until then. It's full of R-19 now.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Well, the meter is in a well with a metal lid. I doesn't get wet in there in the winter.Astronuc said:Put the insulation in a plastic back. Air is a good insulator, but wet (soaked) insulation doesn't insulate very well. Compost decays and produces heat.
This rural meter gets read monthly, so I wouldn't be able to cover it up. I got a notice just this summer that there would be a $25 fee if it is not free of weeds. They are worried about snakes I guess.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Just let the my dog out, jeeze o pete that wind and that small granular ice stings like crazy. I wish I had my camera, just in the 3 minutes he was out, he looked like a snowman, he was completely covered with snow.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
You know, until I sent picture to some relatives in India, a few didn't believe the kind of snow and weather you people get in the North America. It's... cold, but it is very beautiful, and even that cold is like blazing heat... it's a little majestic.
Icicles... never get old.
Icicles... never get old.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
12 deg and snowing steadily. The heavy snow is due tomorrow, and the forecasters are describing a band of heavy snowfall that may or may not have this town in the bulls-eye. Again, it looks like the northern parts of the state may get a lot less snow than we will.
Science Advisor
- 4,430
- 327
I didn't experience -40 once this winter. Balmy!
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
turbo-1 said:12 deg and snowing steadily. The heavy snow is due tomorrow, and the forecasters are describing a band of heavy snowfall that may or may not have this town in the bulls-eye. Again, it looks like the northern parts of the state may get a lot less snow than we will.
Your TOWN!? Wow... that's some awful luck given the size of this storm.

turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
The point is, the forecasters are predicting heavy snow in a wide band of Maine, but the way they draw their maps, I can't tell if the are putting us in the 12" zone or maybe the 20" zone.nismaratwork said:Your TOWN!? Wow... that's some awful luck given the size of this storm.![]()
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Phase 1 was mild. Waiting for Phase 2. Fortunately we're not in the freezing rain section. I'd much rather have 2 feet of snow than freezing rain and 1 or 2 inches of ice on everything.
This Afternoon...Snow with patchy freezing drizzle. Snow accumulation up to an inch. Cold. Near steady temperature around 20. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Tonight...Freezing drizzle and snow likely in the evening...then snow...freezing rain...very light freezing drizzle and sleet after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Ice accumulation of up to one quarter of an inch. Near steady temperature in the lower 20s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.
Wednesday...Freezing rain...light snow and sleet. Additional snow and sleet accumulation up to an inch. Ice accumulation of up to one tenth of an inch. Highs around 30. East winds 10 to 15 mph... Becoming northeast 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Wednesday Night...Snow likely in the evening...then scattered snow showers after midnight. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Lows around 17. West winds around 5 mph...becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of snow 60 percent.
Seems the system is now centered over the Ohio River Valley between Ky and In.
This Afternoon...Snow with patchy freezing drizzle. Snow accumulation up to an inch. Cold. Near steady temperature around 20. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Tonight...Freezing drizzle and snow likely in the evening...then snow...freezing rain...very light freezing drizzle and sleet after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Ice accumulation of up to one quarter of an inch. Near steady temperature in the lower 20s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.
Wednesday...Freezing rain...light snow and sleet. Additional snow and sleet accumulation up to an inch. Ice accumulation of up to one tenth of an inch. Highs around 30. East winds 10 to 15 mph... Becoming northeast 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Wednesday Night...Snow likely in the evening...then scattered snow showers after midnight. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Lows around 17. West winds around 5 mph...becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of snow 60 percent.
Seems the system is now centered over the Ohio River Valley between Ky and In.
Attachments
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
turbo-1 said:The point is, the forecasters are predicting heavy snow in a wide band of Maine, but the way they draw their maps, I can't tell if the are putting us in the 12" zone or maybe the 20" zone.
Hell, that's kind of a big deal for forecasters to miss. I guess in Maine though this is nothing however!
Astronuc: What is freezing rain? I'm finding several definitions online... is it like sleet or hail, or rain that freezes on contact with the ground?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Just be glad you don't live in Queensland along the northern coast - in the path of cyclone Yasi.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/01/cyclone-yasi-head-towards-queensland-australia
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_australia_stormForecasters said up to three feet (one meter) of rain could fall on some coastal communities.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/01/cyclone-yasi-head-towards-queensland-australia
Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
Astronuc said:Just be glad you don't live in Queensland along the northern coast - in the path of cyclone Yasi.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_australia_storm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/01/cyclone-yasi-head-towards-queensland-australia
Oh great... because that's what they need in Queensland... more rain. Man... that is a monster storm for a super-island/continent.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
It's rain (liquid) just above or at freezing but not frozen as in sleet or hail. It hits a cold surface (at or below freezing) and turns to ice. Surfaces get very icy/slippery.nismaratwork said:Hell, that's kind of a big deal for forecasters to miss. I guess in Maine though this is nothing however!
Astronuc: What is freezing rain? I'm finding several definitions online... is it like sleet or hail, or rain that freezes on contact with the ground?
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
Astronuc said:It's rain (liquid) just above or at freezing but not frozen as in sleet or hail. It hits a cold surface (at or below freezing) and turns to ice. Surfaces get very icy/slippery.
Great... another kind of lethal weather I get to experience here. I love this country, but you have ice that seems to WANT you dead! Freezing rain... sounds like a level of hell.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
And tree branches jacketed in solid ice get VERY heavy - a major cause of power outages when they take out utility lines.Astronuc said:It's rain (liquid) just above or at freezing but not frozen as in sleet or hail. It hits a cold surface (at or below freezing) and turns to ice. Surfaces get very icy/slippery.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
And I'm just to the right of you. It's really coming down right now, I can't see the road now, so I can't tell if any stupid people are trying to drive in this, I'm sure they are.dlgoff said:That's one mean looking storm. I'm located where the arrow is and the snow is starting to pill up.
I got caught in the car in a sudden whiteout in New York once, I could barely make out the snow fence along the roadside and just made sure I kept it in sight, going 10mph, I do not know how I made it home and didn't get stuck in snow.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
I suppose freezing rain could also be supercooled water droplets.nismaratwork said:Great... another kind of lethal weather I get to experience here. I love this country, but you have ice that seems to WANT you dead! Freezing rain... sounds like a level of hell.
I've only experience supercooled water once. Somehow I had a bottle of water - can't remember if it was distilled - in the refrigerator. I went to retrieve it and as soon as I bumped it, it flashed to solid. Pretty amazing.
Source - http://amsglossary.allenpress.com/glossary/browse?s=f&p=39freezing rain—Rain that falls in liquid form but freezes upon impact to form a coating of glaze upon the ground and on exposed objects.
In aviation weather observations, this hydrometeor is encoded ZR. While the temperature of the ground surface and glazed objects is typically near or below freezing (0°C or 32°F), it is necessary that the water drops be supercooled before striking. Freezing rain can sometimes occur on surfaces exposed to the air (such as tree limbs) with air temperatures slightly above freezing in strong winds.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Last winter (and one several years ago), we had many trees in our area just fall over from the ice and snow accumulation. We had one or two in our back yard, as well as braches just peel off some fir trees last winter.turbo-1 said:And tree branches jacketed in solid ice get VERY heavy - a major cause of power outages when they take out utility lines.