Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cold Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 174K views
Supposed to have serious storms all night, then later in the week, temps will fall into the upper 20's! This is turning into the coldest spring we've ever had. What's bad is that some of the flowering trees have started to bloom. This happened last year, or the year before too, the new growth and blooms turned black. Very sad.

All of the plant places are empty outside, not wanting to lose the young plants. :frown:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My tulips (which haven't flowered yet) got buried today under 14" of snow! What happened? Sunday and Monday it was in the 60s. Today it was 20F at noon, heading towards 10 tonight. :cry:
 
We hit 5 degrees this morning! It was 70 degrees on Monday, we had a blizzard warning yesterday, and 5 degrees this morning.

Except the blizzard didn't leave much snow. The winds were so strong that I think the snow was in Kansas by time it reached the ground!

But that was interesting in itself. After such a dry winter, the wind was blowing sand. So instead of having snow drifts, we have sand dunes all over the place. That seems a little ominous - especially considering we're already on water restrictions. Not going to be a good summer for the lawns!

How strong was the wind? In the building I work in, there was sand on anything below an air vent. I've never seen the sand blow into the building through the air vents before.
 
I saw Colorado was getting hit hard. They've gone so far as to predict snow tonight, I don't think so.
 
They're predicting snow again tomorrow. Snow. It's almost May. This isn't New England :bugeye: I moved here in 1993 and we've never had such a cold spring. I'm still running the heater, and I keep it ~60-65F inside.
 
Unreal, it's supposed to get up to 80F tomorrow, but back to 39F as a high Thursday!
 
Evo said:
Unreal, it's supposed to get up to 80F tomorrow, but back to 39F as a high Thursday!
We've had similar weather last week, and we're not New England, but we're close.
 
Evo said:
Unreal, it's supposed to get up to 80F tomorrow, but back to 39F as a high Thursday!
Your weather is my weather but one day later (and one degree warmer)!
 
0 C = 32 F right now. We just got back from Tim Hortons (coffee shop), where we drank tea (me), coffee (wife), and lemonade (daughter) while we watched the snowflakes fly and swirl.
 
George Jones said:
0 C = 32 F right now. We just got back from Tim Hortons (coffee shop), where we drank tea (me), coffee (wife), and lemonade (daughter) while we watched the snowflakes fly and swirl.
Snow? I saw plants at the store the other day, they looked so bad, they're warm weather plants and the cold has made them look so sick that it's doubtful the poor things will sell.

(I love Tim Horton's coffee).
 
Yes, snow. Predicted high for Saturday is 19 C = 66 F. At the last place I worked, Tim Hortons was a 90-second indoor walk from my office. Life is tough now; Tim Hortons is a 3-minute indoor walk from my office.
 
George Jones said:
Yes, snow. Predicted high for Saturday is 19 C = 66 F. At the last place I worked, Tim Hortons was a 90-second indoor walk from my office. Life is tough now; Tim Hortons is a 3-minute indoor walk from my office.
:smile:

I was introduced to Tim Horton coffee a few years ago. My older daughter asked me to stay at her place and kitten sit while she was out of town. She had Tim Horton ground coffee. I couldn't believe how good it was.
 
Last edited:
/sigh. The snow was almost all gone yesterday. Woke up to this. 8" overnight.

z0oSO2R.jpg
 
Hahah, the beauty must only be seen from an outsiders perspective... After you're about to enter your 8th month with snow on the ground, it becomes less beautiful. Thanks though :)
 
You could have made similar pics in Spain this week.

I'm covering my plants for frostbite tonite.

Somehow I get associations with the Nenana ice classic. But the bets are closed to when the tripod starts to drift, stopping the clock. My bet is May 10th 5:15 pm. It looks like the http://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/ice.htm# this year is not exactly the least of the records
 
KrisOhn said:
/sigh. The snow was almost all gone yesterday. Woke up to this. 8" overnight.

<pic>

would be nice to see auckland covered like this... for a day
 
It stopped snowing overnight, ended up getting about 16" in total. 2 years ago the same thing happened to us (early spring dump of almost 2' of snow) and our area had extreme flooding, we're well on our way to having the same thing happen this year.
 
Andre said:
...Somehow I get associations with the Nenana ice classic. But the bets are closed to when the tripod starts to drift, stopping the clock. My bet is May 10th 5:15 pm...

Doesn't look like I'm going to hit the jackpot

http://www.adn.com/2013/04/29/2883299/interior-alaska-sees-record-breaking.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Weather Channel here has just gone beyond absurd. Now they are calling the cold front pushing through
Winter Storm Achilles

Ok, first, it's not winter, it's Spring.

Second, we don't name isolated storms. Ok, well, the Weather Channel has started to in order to drum up needless fear about weather storms that may or may not develop.

This is absurd. It's not winter. This is not a winter storm.

I can't wait to see what they're planning to name summer thunderstorms.

IDIOTS.
 
Evo said:
IDIOTS.
That would be the name of the ninth storm. :-p
 
We got about 5 inches of snow and it's still coming down here in Upper Michigan also lots of flooding, the woods are now lakes, and little streams are raging rivers.

8702682780_a9844e6032_b.jpg


8702709724_22beb9585e_b.jpg


Those were from yesterday and it looks like this today.

8702744766_04c8b6ae7b_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
It's snowing here now. 34F

Wow SAS, that looks bad.
 
Yah, I am thinking about getting a boat and going fishing "in the woods".
 
sas3 said:
Yah, I am thinking about getting a boat and going fishing "in the woods".
:eek:
 
I didn't think the snow would stick since it had been raining last night, but I was wrong. They're also predicting an accumulation of 5-8 inches before the snow ends Saturday. With a high predicted of 51F, it should all melt quickly. I'm glad that I went to the pharmacy yesterday.