Will the material in a cathode be carried to the anode?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of copper deposition on a tungsten anode through cathodic arc deposition. The speaker is interested in calculating the deposition rate, which is believed to be proportional to the current. They also mention the need to consult an expert treatise for specific metals and provide a resource for further information.
Warpspeed13
If I were to strike an arc between a copper cathode and a tungsten anode would copper be deposited on the anode? If so how could I calculate deposition rate? I know this works in electroplating but will it work through air or another gas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool this answered one of my questions, but how would I calculate deposition rate?

It should be proportional to the current, but you would have to consult an expert treatise for each metal under consideration.

You will find more information here: https://www.arl.psu.edu/mm_mp_ac_cathodic.php

Cool, thank you very much.

1. What is a cathode and anode?

A cathode is the negatively charged electrode in a circuit, while an anode is the positively charged electrode. They are essential components in electrochemical reactions, such as in batteries and electrolysis.

2. Why would material from a cathode be carried to the anode?

This can occur in certain electrochemical reactions where ions are transferred between the electrodes. For example, in a battery, the cathode undergoes a reduction reaction, causing ions to flow towards the anode. This movement of ions can also occur in electrolysis, where an electric current causes a chemical reaction to produce a desired product.

3. What factors affect the movement of material from a cathode to an anode?

The type of material used in the electrodes, the concentration of ions in the solution, and the amount of electric current applied can all impact the movement of material between the cathode and anode. Additionally, the type of electrochemical reaction and the temperature can also play a role.

4. Can the material in a cathode be carried to the anode in a closed circuit?

No, in a closed circuit, the movement of material between the cathode and anode is limited by the flow of electrons. The flow of ions is essential for electrochemical reactions, but in a closed circuit, the electrons are already being used to power the circuit and cannot be used for ion movement.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to material being carried from a cathode to an anode?

In some cases, the movement of material between electrodes can result in the degradation of the electrodes, reducing their efficiency and lifespan. Additionally, if the movement of material is not controlled, it can lead to unwanted byproducts or reactions. However, in many electrochemical processes, the movement of material is necessary for the desired outcome.