Will thumb impression change due to injury?

• Medical
  • Thread starter n.karthick
  • Start date
Hi,
Thumb impression is being used in many legal documents for identification of person. I have provided my thumb impression in some legal documents too. My doubt is, if I have some injury in my thumb and after it is cured, will my thumb impression be the same or different? how can I be sure that my thumb impression has not changed after the wound is cured?

Answers and Replies

i have a thick scar going from thumb knuckle to tip, caused by a carving accident with a hunting knife. mostly, the print lines from adjacent sides meet up at the scar. there is some distortion in places, as if it is being pulled up or down in the direction of the scar. about midline, there is some evidence that new prints formed directly above the scar. this is probably from deep tissue damage that destroyed skin full depth leaving a gap where new tissue growth filled in.

As far as I know, identifications can be made from partial fingerprints. I'm not sure about specific automated technologies, but it should be possible provided some critical amount of information is available.

i have a thick scar going from thumb knuckle to tip, caused by a carving accident with a hunting knife. mostly, the print lines from adjacent sides meet up at the scar. there is some distortion in places, as if it is being pulled up or down in the direction of the scar. about midline, there is some evidence that new prints formed directly above the scar. this is probably from deep tissue damage that destroyed skin full depth leaving a gap where new tissue growth filled in.

So what are the legal aspects involved in it? Can you prove through medical terms that you are the same person?
My worry is after my injury is cured how can I prove that I am the same person. I donot know how to confirm whether there are any differences from the old and present fingerprints of mine. Is visual inspection enough ? Slight changes doesn't matter?
(Anyway my signature and many others are there for proof. I am just asking this question out of curiosity)

So what are the legal aspects involved in it? Can you prove through medical terms that you are the same person?
My worry is after my injury is cured how can I prove that I am the same person. I donot know how to confirm whether there are any differences from the old and present fingerprints of mine. Is visual inspection enough ? Slight changes doesn't matter?
(Anyway my signature and many others are there for proof. I am just asking this question out of curiosity)

DNA would be the ultimate way.

99% of the time a drivers license / passport will suffice. It's only with criminal activity you'd be truly likely to be scrutinised.

However, in any case I'd point out you have 10 fingers.

wouldn't affect me, i've never been fingerprinted. it's not a requirement for identity in the USA. there is even a family where some of the members do not have fingerprints. actually, i'm not sure there are any biometric requirements, legally, though that may one day change.

actually, now that i think about it, i think my footprints are on my birth certificate. so i can at least prove that i wasn't born in Kenya.

wouldn't affect me, i've never been fingerprinted. it's not a requirement for identity in the USA. there is even a family where some of the members do not have fingerprints. actually, i'm not sure there are any biometric requirements, legally, though that may one day change.

actually, now that i think about it, i think my footprints are on my birth certificate. so i can at least prove that i wasn't born in Kenya.

Try getting into the US from the UK (as a UK citizen) - fingerprints and photos all over the place. Outside of law enforcement, it's (immigration) the only time I can think you'd have it done (only time I've ever been printed).