Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wilson Loop and spontaneous symmetry breaking.

1. Jun 7, 2015 #1
    I would like to ask about the case of:

##SU(2)\otimes U(1) \rightarrow U(1)\otimes U(1),## spontaneous symmetry breaking.

It is given that the Wilson Loop:
    ##W \equiv exp[ig \oint dy H T^1]= diag(−1,−1,1).##

Where ##y## is the ##S^1/Z^2## fifth/extra dimension, ##H = \frac{1}{g R}## and ##T^1## is the first ##SU(3)## generator.
    As we can check, the Wilson Loop does not commute with ##SU(3)## generators ##T^6, T^7## but it still commutes with ##T^3, T^8##.
    The non-trivial parity in this case is ##P = diag(1,−1,−1)## and it anti-commutes only with ##T^1##.
    How does this SSB occur?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since I am not sure what choice you're using for generators, I will use the Gell-Mann matrices, which seem to be different from your choice. ##\lambda_8## is the most convenient choice to use for the Wilson line, since it commutes with itself and ##\lambda_{1,2,3}##. From the gauge Lagrangian, we have a potential term ##\text{Tr}[A^a_\mu,A^8_5]^2##. The Wilson line corresponds to a constant background field in the 8-component, so the gauge field components that do not commute with ##\lambda_8## get a tree-level mass proportional to the square of this background field (##m_{\text{KK}}## with the appropriate choice), whereas the massless ##A^a_\mu##, ##a=1,2,3## and ##A^8_\mu## generate an unbroken ##SU(2)\times U(1)## gauge group.

If you want to break this further to ##U(1)\times U(1)##, a convenient choice would be to put a Wilson line for ##A^3_5## as well.

4. Jun 8, 2015 #3
    Thank you very much for your answer fzero!
    First of all the matrix ##T^1## equals ##\lambda_1/2##.
    My question is mostly of algebraic nature:
    Could you please explain, in algebraic terms, how the massless ##A^a_μ, a=1,2,3## and ##A^8_μ## generate an unbroken ##SU(2)\otimes U(1)##?
    Or even better, how ##U(1) \otimes U(1)## is realised?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  5. Jun 8, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

These fields are massless, so must correspond to some residual gauge symmetry. You can either note that ##\lambda_{1,2,3}## project to the standard Pauli matrices or just verify that they satisfy the ##SU(2)## algebra by hand, so we get a factor of ##SU(2)##. Since ##\lambda_8## commutes with them, it is the generator of a separate ##U(1)## factor.

If we put an additional Wilson line for ##\lambda_3##, then ##A^{1,2}_\mu## will be massive, but ##A^3_\mu## will remain massless and preserve a ##U(1)## subgroup of ##SU(2)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook