Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows ALT-NUMBERPAD characters

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1

Bandit127

Gold Member

I thought you might find these useful. (I am amazed how many of my colleagues still type these longhand or have to find the symbol in a menu somewhere).

On a Windows PC, with NUM LOCK on, hold the left hand ALT button and type the number on the number pad.

ALT-230 = µ
    ALT-241 = ±
    ALT-248 = °

Hopefully more suggestions will follow...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm :rolleyes:

on a mac (from the very first mac), alt-m = µ, shift-§ = ±, alt-shift-8 = ° etc :smile:

get a mac ! o:)

4. Jul 29, 2011 #3

Bandit127

Gold Member

Excellent riposte.

Being an open minded and tolerant community of intelligent professionals, we will not take this as an excuse to indulge in narrow minded Windows vs Mac vs Linux bashing.

Nope, we will rise above that and celebrate the contributions of shortcuts for any colour of operating system.

...Especially the minorities...

5. Aug 1, 2011 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you've discovered is the shortcut for inserting any ASCII character. You can use this for any of the ASCII characters on this chart, note that the second chart has the shortcuts you listed:

http://www.asciitable.com/

ASCII Table
    asciifull.gif

Extended ASCII Characters
    extend.gif

6. Aug 1, 2011 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are four digit codes too. ALT-0233 = é. There is a big contiguous block of accented letters and other variations in that general area.

Some others I know
    0176 - °
    0177 - ±
    0178 - ²
    0179 - ³

7. Aug 1, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Back in the DOS days, when I didn't want customers (or potential competitors) tinkering with my code, I would name the file with an ending ALT255. The "character" is invisible, but DOS would require it in the file name if you wanted to open, copy, or modify the file. Back before I had access to a decent compiler for dBase applications, I had to leave source code on customer computers, and a little extra security was necessary.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook