Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows live search gone or renamed?

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I have / had windows live search as my default search provider for internet explorer (live serach was auto-selected when I installed the OS onto this computer). It seems that live search is no longer working and ends up going to my ISP provider search as error recovery. I did a web search for "live search down", but just found a few hits at other forums also mentioning live search was down. Seems this started about 6 to 10 days ago.

I'll just switch my default search provider, but a bit suprised I didn't find any announcements about this.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2
    Live Search was replaced by Bing back in 2009. I'm not sure which version of IE you're using, but if you install a new version of IE you'll see that the default search is through Bing, not through Live Search. Microsoft properly just let one of their old domains expire and your version of IE stopped going to a working URL when you searched.

I suspect that if you upgrade your version of IE, this problem will go away for you entirely.

4. Nov 7, 2012 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I'm using IE8 (with Windows XP), but I'm not sure when I chose the default search provider. I did find several articles about Live being replaced by Bing back in 2009, but this problem only started 6 to 10 days ago, so you're probably correct about the domain expiration. When doing a web search for this issue, I didn't find many hits, so apparently not many people were using it.

5. Nov 7, 2012 #4
    Yeah, it seems like a domain expiration would most simply explain the problem you're seeing. Anyway, you should be able to fix it by updating Internet Explorer or by directly editing your search provider settings. (Or by choosing a different browser :smile: )

6. Nov 7, 2012 #5
    Windows 8 is outdated and a bit buggy in my opinion. I'd recommend using google chrome instead.

7. Nov 8, 2012 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Two weeks after the release and it is already outdated, things are changing fast.

8. Nov 8, 2012 #7
    LOL, Internet explorer 8.

9. Nov 8, 2012 #8

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I just switched the default search provider to bing. I also use google chrome as an alternate browser if a web site has issues with IE8. I started this thread mostly out of curiosity as to why the live search stopped working about a week ago. As mentioned above, probably the old domain finally expired.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook