Windows Software for Experimental Set-up Design

In summary, the conversation was about finding software that allows for easy creation of experimental set-up schemes on a computer. The person was looking for open-source and user-friendly options, but mentioned that the simple tools they had tried were not meeting their needs. Suggestions were made for both 2D and 3D drawing software, with Inkscape being a popular choice among the group.
StevieTNZ
Perhaps someone may be able to suggest (Windows) software that I could use that allows me to draw experimental set-up schemes on my computer (i.e. include images such as beam splitters, wave plates, PBS’s) without much hassle? Anything that is open-source, perhaps? And easy to use?

Otherwise really it’s a use of Paint. Unfortunately Office Visio 2010 doesn’t have any physics diagrams I could use/manipulate.

Physics news on Phys.org
The simple stuff does not do what you want...what does it, it's complicated...that's always the case.

Free stuff that draws:

2D
Inkscape
Dia
Asymptote

3D
Google Sketchup
Blender
FreeCAD

Thanks!

Someone else suggested Inkscape, so I'll go with that.

1. What is "Windows Software for Experimental Set-up Design"?

"Windows Software for Experimental Set-up Design" is a computer program that allows scientists to design and plan their experimental set-ups using a user-friendly interface on Windows operating system. It provides various tools and features to help scientists optimize their experiments, such as virtual simulations, data analysis, and data visualization.

2. Is this software compatible with other operating systems?

No, this software is specifically designed for Windows operating system and is not compatible with other operating systems.

3. Can I customize the software for my specific experimental needs?

Yes, this software allows for customization of various parameters and settings to cater to your specific experimental needs. It also allows for integration with other software or devices to enhance the functionality.

4. How does this software help with experimental set-up design?

This software offers a comprehensive platform for scientists to plan, visualize, and optimize their experimental set-ups. It provides tools for virtual simulations, data analysis, and data visualization, which can aid in the design and optimization process.

5. Is there a cost for using this software?

Yes, this software may have a cost associated with it, depending on the specific version and features you require. However, there may be free trial versions available for you to test and evaluate before purchasing the software.