Windows was unable to complete the format

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with the PC being unable to format CDs and DVDs. Suggestions for solutions include cleaning the drive, using alternative software such as NERO, or getting an external DVD writer. The cause of the issue is unknown and it is speculated to be a hardware or software issue.
samalkhaiat
Science Advisor
Insights Author
"windows was unable to complete the format"

Like myself, my PC is getting old! I have just noticed that it is not able to format any CD's and most DVD's. It certainly can not format any disk which has been erased. After 20 minutes of trying, it displays the message "windows was unable to complete the format".
It is interesting to known what exactly had happened to it? can I get an answer before I go to work in 13 hours from now?

Sam

Computer science news on Phys.org

maybe you need to clean the drive? it probably has some dust in it or on the lens.

There are some CD cleaners that look like CDs with a brush attached that clean as it revolves. It may come with some cleaning fluid too.

You might be able to clean it with a Q-tip and some lens solution. Not sure if you'll have to remove the drive or not though.

jedishrfu said:
maybe you need to clean the drive? it probably has some dust in it or on the lens.

There are some CD cleaners that look like CDs with a brush attached that clean as it revolves.

That was the first thing I tried! it didn't work.

have you tried NERO or ROXIO instead of Windows?

I've heard that Windows doesn't finalize CDs or DVDs as it should when burning is complete.

Last edited:

jedishrfu said:
have you tried NERO instead of Windows?

Sorry, what is NERO?

another thought is to get an external dvd writer and try that in case your drive just gave out.

jedishrfu said:
Its commercial software that people use in place of windows default tools to do CD and DVD burning:

http://www.nero.com/enu/

Ok thanks, but it is more interesting to know the cause of the problem! burning disks is not a problem, I have another PC which works well.

samalkhaiat said:
Ok thanks, but it is more interesting to know the cause of the problem! burning disks is not a problem, I have another PC which works well.

The is most likely a hardware issue. Could still be dirt on the lens or the LED no longer lights... or it could be you're using more modern CD/DVD disks and your drive just can't handle them. I've seen that with some older DVD players not being able to play a disk I burned on my PC.

I think it is a software problem because it is still able to read/play and even erase CD's and DVD's.

What does "Windows was unable to complete the format" mean?

When you try to format a storage device, such as a USB drive or an external hard drive, you may receive an error message that says "Windows was unable to complete the format." This means that the formatting process was not successful and the storage device cannot be used as intended.

Why does "Windows was unable to complete the format" occur?

There are several reasons why this error message may occur. It could be due to a corrupted file system, a damaged storage device, or a problem with the formatting tool being used.

How can I fix "Windows was unable to complete the format"?

The first step to fixing this error is to try formatting the storage device using a different formatting tool. If that doesn't work, you can try using the Command Prompt to format the device. If the issue persists, it could be due to a physical damage to the storage device and it may need to be replaced.

Will formatting my storage device erase all my data?

Yes, formatting a storage device will erase all the data on it. It is important to make sure you have backed up any important files before attempting to format a storage device.

Can I recover my data after receiving the "Windows was unable to complete the format" error?

If you were unable to format the storage device, it is unlikely that you will be able to recover any data from it. However, you can try using data recovery software to see if any files can be retrieved. Keep in mind that there is no guarantee of success in data recovery and it is always best to regularly backup your important files to avoid data loss.