Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows was unable to complete the format

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

"windows was unable to complete the format"

Like myself, my PC is getting old! I have just noticed that it is not able to format any CD's and most DVD's. It certainly can not format any disk which has been erased. After 20 minutes of trying, it displays the message "windows was unable to complete the format".
    It is interesting to known what exactly had happened to it? can I get an answer before I go to work in 13 hours from now?

Sam

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Re: "windows was unable to complete the format"

maybe you need to clean the drive? it probably has some dust in it or on the lens.

There are some CD cleaners that look like CDs with a brush attached that clean as it revolves. It may come with some cleaning fluid too.

You might be able to clean it with a Q-tip and some lens solution. Not sure if you'll have to remove the drive or not though.

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

That was the first thing I tried! it didn't work.

5. Jan 24, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

have you tried NERO or ROXIO instead of Windows?

I've heard that Windows doesn't finalize CDs or DVDs as it should when burning is complete.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. Jan 24, 2013 #5

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Sorry, what is NERO?

7. Jan 24, 2013 #6

jedishrfu

Its commercial software that people use in place of windows default tools to do CD and DVD burning:

http://www.nero.com/enu/

8. Jan 24, 2013 #7

jedishrfu

another thought is to get an external dvd writer and try that in case your drive just gave out.

9. Jan 24, 2013 #8

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Ok thanks, but it is more interesting to know the cause of the problem! burning disks is not a problem, I have another PC which works well.

10. Jan 24, 2013 #9

jedishrfu

The is most likely a hardware issue. Could still be dirt on the lens or the LED no longer lights... or it could be you're using more modern CD/DVD disks and your drive just cant handle them. I've seen that with some older DVD players not being able to play a disk I burned on my PC.

11. Jan 24, 2013 #10

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

I think it is a software problem because it is still able to read/play and even erase CD's and DVD's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook