Wire through a hole - diameter question

In summary, the person is trying to find a thin silver chain that can fit through a small hole in a bead. They found a chain with 0.9mm diameter, but are unsure if it will fit. They tested with a 0.3mm wire and found that it fit through 5 times. From this, they can estimate that the hole in the bead is likely greater than 0.9mm. They suggest using a welding tip cleaner as a cheap alternative to a pin or wire gauge set to determine the exact diameter of the hole.
Kissyboots
I'm trying to find a silver chain that can be used for a small bead with a small hole. Obviously, the chain needs to be thin enough to fit through the hole, but I can't measure the hole inside the bead by hand.

I found a chain that is 0.9mm in diameter, but I'm not sure the bead will fit. So I went home and threaded the bead with a 0.3mm wire that I have. It fit through 5 times. So basically, I have a bead strung up on 5 0.3mm wires. With this information, how can I figure out the diameter of the hole, or at least if it is greater than 0.9mm?

TIA

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kissyboots said:
I'm trying to find a silver chain that can be used for a small bead with a small hole. Obviously, the chain needs to be thin enough to fit through the hole, but I can't measure the hole inside the bead by hand.

I found a chain that is 0.9mm in diameter, but I'm not sure the bead will fit. So I went home and threaded the bead with a 0.3mm wire that I have. It fit through 5 times. So basically, I have a bead strung up on 5 0.3mm wires. With this information, how can I figure out the diameter of the hole, or at least if it is greater than 0.9mm?

TIA

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CirclePacking.html

From the case of five circles packed into one larger circle on this page, you can see that with optimal packing, the diameter of the larger circle is about 2.7 times that of the smaller circles. This means that in your case, if 0.3mm is the diameter of your thinner wire, the chain with 0.9mm diameter may not fit.

Turning it around the other way, if a 0.9mm diameter wire would fit then that means three 0.3mm wires would fit with their centres in a straight line; so you should manage 7 wires - a central one and six more arranged around it.
Of course, practical considerations might mean that 0.9mm would just fit, yet it's quite hard to thread 7 x 0.3mm.

Go buy a welding tip cleaner at the hardware store. They are very cheap, and have many wires on different sizes in very small increments. Makes a very cheap alternative to a pin or wire gauge set.

I would suggest using a micrometer or caliper to accurately measure the diameter of the hole in the bead. This will give you a precise measurement and allow you to determine if the 0.9mm chain will fit through the hole. Alternatively, you could also try using a thinner wire, such as a 0.2mm, and see if it fits through the hole. If it does, then you know the hole is smaller than 0.2mm in diameter. By testing different wire sizes and comparing the results, you can narrow down the approximate diameter of the hole. However, for a more accurate measurement, I would recommend using a measuring tool.

1. What is the purpose of a wire through a hole experiment?

The purpose of a wire through a hole experiment is to demonstrate the principle of mechanical advantage and how it can be used to lift heavy objects with minimal effort.

2. How does the size of the hole affect the ability of the wire to lift objects?

The size of the hole affects the mechanical advantage of the wire by changing the direction and magnitude of the force applied to the object. A smaller hole will result in a larger mechanical advantage and the ability to lift heavier objects with less force.

3. What factors determine the optimal diameter of the hole for maximum lifting efficiency?

The optimal diameter of the hole for maximum lifting efficiency depends on the weight of the object, the thickness and material of the wire, and the angle at which the force is applied. Generally, a larger hole diameter will result in a lower mechanical advantage, but it may be necessary for larger or heavier objects.

4. Can the wire through a hole experiment be used to lift any object regardless of weight?

No, the wire through a hole experiment has limitations and may not be able to lift extremely heavy objects. The weight of the object, the strength of the wire, and the angle of the force all play a role in the success of the experiment.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting a wire through a hole experiment?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, when handling the wire. Also, make sure the wire is securely fastened and that the angle of the force is applied in a safe and controlled manner to prevent injury.