Wolfram Mathematica: ListPlot3D to SphericalPlot3D

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with Mathematica where a user is trying to create a SphericalPlot3D or Point Plot using a list of spherical coordinates. The solution to this problem may involve asking for help in a forum or manually creating a Graphics3D file. Another option is to create a NIntegrate function that can be passed to SphericalPlot3D for direct plotting.
sukharef
Hello!

There is a problem with Mathematica: i calculate an integral with a help of NIntegrate and get the whole list of spherical coordinates, like {6.24, 3.14, 0.323488}, {6.26, 3.14, 0.323488}, {6.28, 3.14, 0.323488} and so on...
then i create a list, like data = List[{6.24, 3.14, 0.323488}, {6.26, 3.14, 0.323488}, {6.28, 3.14, 0.323488}];
and plot a ListPlot3D[data]. So the result is:
a353e876eec3.jpg

The problem is: how to create a SphericalPlot3D /Point Plot/, having the list of spherical coordinates?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting problem. However, I think you need to ask this in the Math Software and Latex Forum. Perhaps a mentor will move it for you or you can pm a mentor and ask to have it moved.

Also, maybe we can manually create the Graphics3D file in SphericalPlot3D format, and then just use Show. Not sure though. Alternatively, create a NIntegrate function passed to SphericalPlot3D, and then just have SpericalPlot3D plot it directly.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between ListPlot3D and SphericalPlot3D in Wolfram Mathematica?

ListPlot3D is a function in Wolfram Mathematica that creates a three-dimensional scatter plot from a list of data points. SphericalPlot3D, on the other hand, creates a three-dimensional surface plot of a function specified in spherical coordinates. In other words, ListPlot3D displays discrete data points, while SphericalPlot3D displays a continuous function.

2. How do I convert data from ListPlot3D to be used in SphericalPlot3D?

To convert data from ListPlot3D to be used in SphericalPlot3D, you will need to convert the data from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates. This can be done using the TransformCoordinates function in Wolfram Mathematica. Once the data is in spherical coordinates, it can be plotted using SphericalPlot3D.

3. Can I customize the appearance of ListPlot3D and SphericalPlot3D plots?

Yes, both ListPlot3D and SphericalPlot3D have various options for customizing the appearance of the plots. For example, you can change the color scheme, add labels and legends, adjust the axes, and more. These options can be found in the documentation for each function or by using the Options function in Wolfram Mathematica.

4. Are there any limitations to the size of data that can be plotted with ListPlot3D and SphericalPlot3D?

Both ListPlot3D and SphericalPlot3D can handle large datasets, but there may be limitations depending on your computer's memory and processing power. It is always a good idea to check the documentation for each function to see if there are any specific limitations or recommended guidelines for the size of data.

5. Can I combine ListPlot3D and SphericalPlot3D in the same plot?

Yes, you can combine ListPlot3D and SphericalPlot3D in the same plot using the Show function in Wolfram Mathematica. This allows you to display both discrete data points and a continuous function on the same plot, which can be useful for visualizing relationships between the two. However, the data must be in the same coordinate system for this to work properly.