Wondering about the signs or coordinate system for forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a coordinate system to determine the sign of forces in two different situations. In Situation 1, the speaker is unsure and asks for help in listing the forces. In Situation 2, the speakers discuss the use of a rotated coordinate system for an inclined plane problem and the importance of consistency in using the coordinate system. They also mention the need to find the components of force in the horizontal and perpendicular directions.
page123

Homework Statement

What are the signs of the forces (positive + or negative -) acting on both situations?

Situation 1:

zOnbP.png

Situation 2:

xUvzG.png

Homework Equations

Not really necessary

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure about Situation 1 at all, but I think I got Situation 2:

If I have this coordinate system:

SCg5B.png

On m1:
Fg1 = -
T = +

On m2:
Fg2 = -
T = +

On m3:

Fg3 = -
T = +

Is that right? Now how would I go about doing Situation 1? Would I have to employ a rotated coordinate system like:

fWh7C.png

Can anyone list the forces like that?

EDIT: By the way, this is so that I can implement them properly in my equations. For example, Fnet for m1 would then be T - Fg1 instead of T + Fg1. Or is there a better way of doing that instead of using coordinate systems?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use any co-ordinate system you want so long as you use it consistently. Directions for + and - is just a convention.

I would stick with the up=+ right=+. To do the inclined plane problem, you have to find the components of force horizontal to and perpendicular to the plane. But that does not require changing the co-ordinate system.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You can use any co-ordinate system you want so long as you use it consistently. Directions for + and - is just a convention.

I would stick with the up=+ right=+. To do the inclined plane problem, you have to find the components of force horizontal to and perpendicular to the plane. But that does not require changing the co-ordinate system.

AM

Interesting, so what would the signs be for all the forces on that inclined problem, if there were two tensions and the normal force of gravities?

page123 said:
Interesting, so what would the signs be for all the forces on that inclined problem, if there were two tensions and the normal force of gravities?
You have to work that out.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You have to work that out.

AM

Are you sure about keeping the coordinate system consistent? Because on one pulley system where the mass is greater than the other one I saw T - Fg1 and Fg2 - T for each Fnet. If you had a consistent coordinate system the Ts would both be positive and the Fgs would both be negative. So: T - Fg1 and T - Fg2, but that wouldn't get the right answer?

What are the signs of forces in a coordinate system?

The signs of forces in a coordinate system depend on the direction of the force and the chosen coordinate system. In a Cartesian coordinate system, forces in the negative direction are typically assigned a negative sign, while forces in the positive direction are assigned a positive sign. In a polar coordinate system, forces in the counterclockwise direction are assigned a positive sign, while forces in the clockwise direction are assigned a negative sign.

How do I know which coordinate system to use for forces?

The choice of coordinate system for forces depends on the specific problem being studied. In general, a Cartesian coordinate system is useful for analyzing forces in linear motion, while a polar coordinate system is useful for analyzing forces in rotational motion. It is important to choose a coordinate system that is most suitable for the problem at hand.

What is the difference between a positive and negative sign for forces?

The positive sign for forces indicates a force acting in the positive direction of a chosen coordinate system, while the negative sign indicates a force acting in the opposite direction. Positive and negative signs are used to denote the magnitude and direction of a force, respectively.

How do I determine the direction of a force in a coordinate system?

The direction of a force in a coordinate system can be determined by looking at the direction of its components in the x and y directions. For example, if a force has a positive x component and a negative y component, it would be in the fourth quadrant of a Cartesian coordinate system and have a direction of 315 degrees in a polar coordinate system.

Can the signs of forces change in a coordinate system?

Yes, the signs of forces can change when switching between different coordinate systems. For example, a force with a positive x component in a Cartesian coordinate system may have a negative y component in a polar coordinate system. It is important to pay attention to the direction and orientation of forces when switching between coordinate systems.