Wondering whether to take a PhD now or in a years time

  • Thread starter Thread starter Caveman11
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phd Time Years
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Caveman11
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I'm currently in my third year of a 4 year masters course, however I've been offered a place on a PhD scheme which would mean me graduating with a Bsc instead of a masters and starting the PhD right away. My question is: Does having a masters as well as a PhD differ significantly from having a Bsc and a PhD when applying for jobs?

Any information is greatly appreciated.


Cheers

Nick
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the PhD scheme is exactly what you want then go for it - it may not be there in a years time. If you get the PhD then no one will care if you have an MSc or not. If you fail the PhD you will, almost certainly, be able to write it up as an MSc - but this doesn't make much sense if you already have an MSc!
 
Many professors in math/phys get MSc before grad school; I guess it has to do with the pacing you want to go at. MSc is "safer" probably or enhances your chance to get into a good grad school if you need to prove yourself because of less than desirable grades/research as an undergrad. Just my take on it =P
 
Ok thankyou both for the advice I have decided to do the masters as it is in a similar topic so I will be able to decide at the end of that whether I want to commit to a PhD in it.

Thanks Again