Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game
- Thread starter fresh_42
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,779 replies · 459K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
Sorry, I confused #953 with #954.gmax137 said:LEMON
THEME
EMBED
EMBER
- 20,819
- 28,467
Wordle 955 5/6

























Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 3,935
- 1,863
Wordle 954 5/6*

























OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 955 5/6

























- 16,098
- 9,306
Wordle 955 4/6




















- 20,819
- 28,467
Wordle 956 4/6




















OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 956 4/6




















Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 3,935
- 1,863
Wordle 956 5/6*

























- 22,832
- 14,880
Wordle 956 4/6




















- 16,098
- 9,306
Wordle 956 3/6















sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
Been a little busy lately....
Wordle 956 5/6*

























Wordle 956 5/6*
- 20,819
- 28,467
Wordle 957 4/6




















- 22,832
- 14,880
Wordle 957 3/6















OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 957 4/6




















This is the first time I've noticed that Wordlebot, given only 2 choices, incorrectly chose a word which had been the solution to a previous game.
This is the first time I've noticed that Wordlebot, given only 2 choices, incorrectly chose a word which had been the solution to a previous game.
- 22,832
- 14,880
I have consciously avoided memorising or writing down the solutions to previous puzzles. I prefer going in βblindβ and seeing each puzzzle as independent.OmCheeto said:Wordle 957 4/6
This is the first time I've noticed that Wordlebot, given only 2 choices, incorrectly chose a word which had been the solution to a previous game.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 3,935
- 1,863
Wordle 957 5/6*

























- 16,098
- 9,306
Wordle 957 2/6










Today's solution matched my seed quite well leaving 4 choices. Removing previously used words left me with 2 possibilities. I had a priori probabilities of 50% in 2 tries and 100% in 3 tries. I chose the more commonly used word and got the answer in 2 tries.
If I didn't ignore the previously used words and considered all 4, my second try would be a "throwaway" word with unique letters picked from 3 of the 4 possibilities. That would have resulted in a priori probabilities of 0% in 2 tries and 100% in 3 tries.
A while back we had this exchange when I was a proponent of hard mode. It convinced me to abandon it because what you wrote made eminent sense.Orodruin said:I have consciously avoided memorising or writing down the solutions to previous puzzles. I prefer going in βblindβ and seeing each puzzzle as independent.
kuruman said:Yes, that would narrow things down. However, I have decided to set the appropriate switch to "hard" mode which forces the use of any revealed hints in subsequent guesses. My decision was based mostly on philosophical reasons. You might think I'm silly, but if one views entering a word as a working hypothesis of what the target word could be, then that hypothesis better fit the facts that are already known. It goes against my grain to propose a hypothesis that I know a priori as incorrect. The Edisonian approach is viable in Wordle because there is a limited amount of solutions. I am trying to see how far the scientific approach can take me.
So, in response to your post #3,408, I say "Ah, but since the puzzles use words only once, you are throwing away information if you view each puzzle as independent."Orodruin said:Ah, but the aim is not to guess the correct word immediately but to gain information. As such it is not necessarily about making the guess you think may be correct but the guess that you think will give you the most information.
Today's solution matched my seed quite well leaving 4 choices. Removing previously used words left me with 2 possibilities. I had a priori probabilities of 50% in 2 tries and 100% in 3 tries. I chose the more commonly used word and got the answer in 2 tries.
If I didn't ignore the previously used words and considered all 4, my second try would be a "throwaway" word with unique letters picked from 3 of the 4 possibilities. That would have resulted in a priori probabilities of 0% in 2 tries and 100% in 3 tries.
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
Wordle 957 3/6















That is also my approach. It increases the challenge, which I find appealing. Also, I did not play from the start, there are hundreds of games I never saw. So I could not compile a list of "taken" words. I also do not have the list of "possible" words (I did have it for a time, when the java script was easily found online, but I deleted that file from my machine a long time ago).Orodruin said:I have consciously avoided memorising or writing down the solutions to previous puzzles. I prefer going in βblindβ and seeing each puzzzle as independent.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Wordle 958 4/6




















- 22,832
- 14,880
Wordle 958 3/6















I did not think that would be the actual solutionβ¦
I did not think that would be the actual solutionβ¦
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 958 4/6




















Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 3,935
- 1,863
Wordle 958 3/6*















- 16,098
- 9,306
Wordle 958 3/6















- 20,819
- 28,467
That was close ...
Wordle 959 6/6






























... and a good example for a German proverb: I couldn't see the forest for the trees.
Wordle 959 6/6
... and a good example for a German proverb: I couldn't see the forest for the trees.
- 22,832
- 14,880
Wordle 959 3/6















OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 959 3/6














