Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,790 replies · 472K views
Wordle 1,027 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was sure my #3 was a winner. D'Oh. Looks like @jack action made the same pick for his #4.

Mister T said:
Oh no! I looked at your spoiler before I realized it's (for me) tomorrow's puzzle.
I don't look at this thread until I have done the puzzle (I think I'm usually among the last). I don't want to see if everyone's getting it in three, or six. That's kind of a clue (if everyone had a hard time maybe it has a Q or X, or it's all vowels...)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy, jack action and Herman Trivilino
Physics news on Phys.org
gmax137 said:
Wordle 1,027 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was sure my #3 was a winner. D'Oh. Looks like @jack action made the same pick for his #4.


I don't look at this thread until I have done the puzzle (I think I'm usually among the last). I don't want to see if everyone's getting it in three, or six. That's kind of a clue (if everyone had a hard time maybe it has a Q or X, or it's all vowels...)
Yeah. Especially if you know people's start-words you risk getting a clue even if you don't want one.
 
Now watch out. I'm ahead of you americans by about 6 hours, so this is your tomorrow's puzzle.

Wordle 1,028 2/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And yeh. I might have been just a little lucky. A tiny smidge of luck :P


Which reminds me, I'll start varying my start-word or put the whole thing within SPOILERs in accordance with my comment above....
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino and OmCheeto
Orodruin said:
Wordle 1 028 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
You also didn't need many clues. Are you keeping score with used words?
 
sbrothy said:
Wordle 1,028 2/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And yeh. I might have been just a little lucky. A tiny smidge of luck :P
According to my calculations, you had 132 words to choose from, both previous and future game solutions. I find that interesting, as globally, 1% of the players today solved the game in 2 guesses.

I've never formally studied statistics but am curious if this means that globally, everyone averaged out to about 100 potential solutions after their first guess?
 
sbrothy said:
Now watch out. I'm ahead of you americans by about 6 hours, so this is your tomorrow's puzzle.

Wordle 1,028 2/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And yeh. I might have been just a little lucky. A tiny smidge of luck :P


Which reminds me, I'll start varying my start-word or put the whole thing within SPOILERs in accordance with my comment above....
I don't think you need to add these caveats for Americans unless my stupid mistake keeps getting repeated. It doesn't take much effort on my part to be a bit more careful.
 
sbrothy said:
You also didn't need many clues. Are you keeping score with used words?
No. There was only one possible solution after the first two guesses.

Keep in mind that a white square also contains information.
After the two first guesses I know that it ends with Y, has an I that is not in the second position, no other vowels, and a bunch of common consonants are excluded. This left only one possible solution.
 
Wordle 1,028 5/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

sbrothy said:
Now watch out. I'm ahead of you americans by about 6 hours, so this is your tomorrow's puzzle.

Wordle 1,028 2/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And yeh. I might have been just a little lucky. A tiny smidge of luck :P


Which reminds me, I'll start varying my start-word or put the whole thing within SPOILERs in accordance with my comment above....
You use the same first guess as I do but I'm really curious about why you would choose that word as a second guess.

To my count, the first word left 749 possibilities. If your second guess wasn't right at all, it would have left you with 306 words, which is a lot. If my second guess CLONS wouldn't have been right at all, I would have been left with 48 words. In this case, I had only 15 possibilities left. Personally, I don't think too much and used the easy method of eliminating the most popular letters until I found at least 4 of them before guessing - unless I'm very lucky and a few fall into their right place.

Why choose such a word? The letters WYH wouldn't give you much information if they weren't in the word we are looking for.

This is not "a tiny smidge" of luck, it's "a hole-in-one on a windy day" kind of luck!
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,028 5/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩


You use the same first guess as I do but I'm really curious about why you would choose that word as a second guess.

To my count, the first word left 749 possibilities. If your second guess wasn't right at all, it would have left you with 306 words, which is a lot. If my second guess CLONS wouldn't have been right at all, I would have been left with 48 words. In this case, I had only 15 possibilities left. Personally, I don't think too much and used the easy method of eliminating the most popular letters until I found at least 4 of them before guessing - unless I'm very lucky and a few fall into their right place.

Why choose such a word? The letters WYH wouldn't give you much information if they weren't in the word we are looking for.

This is not "a tiny smidge" of luck, it's "a hole-in-one on a windy day" kind of luck!
Keep in mind that English is my second language and I don't really keep score of which words are used. So there's a lot of guessing going on here. I suspect that explains a lot. Sometimes though, no hits with the first word contains almost as much information as 3-4. As I wrote it was a pretty lucky shot! :P

As you almost wrote: ludicrously lucky.
 
Wordle 1,030 6/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩


See? Here I felt pretty darn stupid when it finally dawned on me. I'm pretty sure that's not a problem a native speaker would have. And that's not counting the obvious blunders I made, reusing letters, even though I have "hardmode" turned on.


I even tried to cheat but that didn't even help! That's pretty pathetic. I kinda panicked there at the end. We have a saying over here:

"HΓΈjt at flyve, dybt at falde".

(Almost) literally: "Flying high, falling far."
 
Wordle 1,030 3/6

πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I just let my gut pick my starting word, usually different every day, whatever pops into my head. This one was lucky! I think the answer today would have been a hard one without the two-letter headstart I got.