Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1 033 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Drat! That was the first word that popped into my mind after two guesses! After some thinking I decided to go for another third guess … πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
 
Why does everybody have the comma in the Wordle number while I do not? Is it regional based on the client or platform based? (I am using an iPhone with Safari browser from Sweden)
Orodruin said:
Wordle 1 033
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,033
jack action said:
Wordle 1,033
 
Orodruin said:
Why does everybody have the comma in the Wordle number while I do not? Is it regional based on the client or platform based? (I am using an iPhone with Safari browser from Sweden)
Good question. I'd expect the English countries to use a period.
 
Orodruin said:
Why does everybody have the comma in the Wordle number while I do not?
BIPM (IIRC the source correctly) recommends the use of a space rather than a comma (used in North America) or a period (used in Europe) to avoid confusion. That may be the reason it was developed that way in the software.
 
Mister T said:
BIPM (IIRC the source correctly) recommends the use of a space rather than a comma (used in North America) or a period (used in Europe) to avoid confusion. That may be the reason it was developed that way in the software.
Oh yeah. I got that backwards didn't I?

Now I'm confused. Never mind.
 
sbrothy said:
Oh yeah. I got that backwards didn't I?

Now I'm confused. Never mind.
I'm not sure if the UK uses the period or the comma as the separator.
 
Mister T said:
BIPM (IIRC the source correctly) recommends the use of a space rather than a comma (used in North America) or a period (used in Europe) to avoid confusion. That may be the reason it was developed that way in the software.
My point was that the software seems to be using a comma for everyone except me ... unless everybody else inserts a comma by hand.
 
Mister T said:
Also known as a fourth guess? :woot:
Nah, what would have been my third guess had I followed my gut feeling was the correct. Instead I entered a different word for my third guess and only then entered what I thought of first as the fourth guess.
 
Wordle 1,033 3/6

πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Orodruin said:
Drat! That was the first word that popped into my mind after two guesses! After some thinking I decided to go for another third guess … πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
I had the same issue, only after my first guess. So I had two second guesses, lol
 
gmax137 said:
So I had two second guesses, lol
I guess we should not …. Second guess … ourselves
 
Orodruin said:
My point was that the software seems to be using a comma for everyone except me ... unless everybody else inserts a comma by hand.
We are not inserting the comma. In fact, I avoid using the comma as a separator because it causes confusion for Europeans (and South Americans if IIRC).

Evidently the software has been modified for use in your region, but not others. It probably goes back to its origins before the NYT buyout.
 
Orodruin said:
Instead I entered a different word for my third guess and only then entered what I thought of first as the fourth guess.
Ahhh... I see. You had a second third guess, not a fourth guess. :biggrin: