Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,779 replies · 459K views
Physics news on Phys.org
dwarde said:
expletive??
Wordle 1,191 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
You've ruined my "It's so bizarre being in last place with 3 guesses." comment.
 
Wordle 1,191 4/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

For some reason I just want it to be more complicated than it really is. Dunno why. This was a new dumb low though.

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 22-17-15 Wordle - The New York Times.png
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,191 2/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© [CLASH] 3 left - REACH ROACH TEACH
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [TEACH] filter and possible answer most likely to be chosen by a human

You're getting there! :biggrin:
 
For once it went smoothly:

Wordle 1,192 3/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 20-35-32 Wordle - The New York Times.png
 
Seems we all performed pretty good here. I'm guessing there're not many words left by now...?
 
Last edited:
Wordle 1,192 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› [CLASH] 25 left
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› [SANER] filter & possible answer - 3 left: SEPIA STEAK STEAM
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [STEAM] Gut feeling said it was either STEAK or STEAM. I figured the puzzle was made by someone living in a metropolis, thus probably a vegan, so "steamed" vegetables it is!
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,192 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› [CLASH] 25 left
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› [SANER] filter & possible answer - 3 left: SEPIA STEAK STEAM
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [STEAM] Gut feeling said it was either STEAK or STEAM. I figured the puzzle was made by someone living in a metropolis, thus probably a vegan, so "steamed" vegetables it is!
I'm not gonna insinuate you "figure" a lot.... well, in fact yes... Yes I am. Well played though. :)
 
sbrothy said:
I'm not gonna insinuate you "figure" a lot.... well, in fact yes... Yes I am. Well played though. :)
This is the same problem as selecting a good password. If the selection process is done by a human being, then another human being is capable of the same thought process, thus finding it [rather] easily. No matter how smart and unique you think you are, somebody else will think like you just as well.

The only good password is one randomly selected by a machine. Even someone running a program creating a random password more than once - until they find one "that looks good" - is too much human intervention.

This puzzle is obviously selected with human intervention somehow, so "figuring out" is most likely a good strategy.
 
jack action said:
This is the same problem as selecting a good password. If the selection process is done by a human being, then another human being is capable of the same thought process, thus finding it [rather] easily. No matter how smart and unique you think you are, somebody else will think like you just as well.

The only good password is one randomly selected by a machine. Even someone running a program creating a random password more than once - until they find one "that looks good" - is too much human intervention.

This puzzle is obviously selected with human intervention somehow, so "figuring out" is most likely a good strategy.
I know what you mean. I'm reminded about that joke/quiz/trick where you're asked a bunch of questions and ends up selecting a red hammer.

Also, XKCD Password Strength.
 
jack action said:
If the selection process is done by a human being
What makes you think it is though?


jack action said:
This puzzle is obviously selected with human intervention somehow, so "figuring out" is most likely a good strategy.
Apart from selecting a number of words to allow, I don’t think this is obvious. Among the list of allowed words (which we know), the process could be randomized by machine for all we know. Unless, of course, you have some actual indication that it isn’t.

Edit: In fact, if you want to play that card you should start picking less human-likely words if you are not disregarding words that are already used. As we are past the half-time mark, by your argument the set of words left should be the least likely to be human picked.

Of course, if the words are drawn randomly from the list, then it doesn’t matter which you pick and you might as well pick the more ”human friendly” (or ”unfriendly” if not accounting for used words) on the off-chance that they are human picked.
 
Orodruin said:
What makes you think it is though?

Apart from selecting a number of words to allow, I don’t think this is obvious. Among the list of allowed words (which we know), the process could be randomized by machine for all we know. Unless, of course, you have some actual indication that it isn’t.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/07/crosswords/wordle-editor.html said:
Now we can shift our work to editing the puzzle. Tracy Bennett, who joined The Times as an associate puzzle editor in 2020, will be the editor of Wordle.
 
That’s very inconclusive in my opinion. It is not clear what ”editing” means in this case. Just picking a word from a list isn’t really something anyone should get a full salary for.
 
Wordle 1,192 2/6

🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I imagine you won't believe me, but the solution STEAM is one of my usual picks and I was going to use it as my first word today. At the last second I typed in STEER instead. Missed that hole in one!

EDIT:
Orodruin said:
Among the list of allowed words (which we know),
Well maybe you know the allowed words and maybe others do, but I don't. And I don't have a list of previous solutions, either.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action, OmCheeto and edwardII
Google "custom wordle" and it will take you to a website where you can choose your own word, then it provides a link to send a blank field it to others. I thought it might be a way to loose some annoying facebook friends. <(@^@)> https://mywordle.strivemath.com/
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and Orodruin
gmax137 said:
Well maybe you know the allowed words and maybe others do, but I don't. And I don't have a list of previous solutions, either.
@jack action is obviously using the list, which is all that matters here.
 
Wordle 1,193 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨ [CLASH] 13 left, with 8 beginning with HA
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› [HAUNT] filter and possible answer - 2 left: HAVEN HANDY.
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [HAVEN] Seemed just a little bit more likely to be picked by a human.
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [HANDY]

The filter word suggested by my program as a 2nd guess was ENTRY - It would have left only HANDY. I should have trusted the program instead of trying to make it in 2.:headbang:
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,193 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨ [CLASH] 13 left, with 8 beginning with HA
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› [HAUNT] filter and possible answer - 2 left: HAVEN HANDY.
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [HAVEN] Seemed just a little bit more likely to be picked by a human.
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [HANDY]

The filter word suggested by my program as a 2nd guess was ENTRY - It would have left only HANDY. I should have trusted the program instead of trying to make it in 2.:headbang:
Well, it seems your systematic approach pays off. If you would just trust it that is. :biggrin: