Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 458K views
Wordle 1.183 5/6*

β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

166FABCD-6EF7-4AFD-8678-31E0CB4F93DE.png

Not the best of days.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it is time to bet on the ponies again.
Wordle 1,184 2/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
So yeah. I tried to cheat but because my regex is so rusty the result was so abysmal I'm not even gonna post the "result" even though I added a lookup into an online library given me a json output along the lines of:

Code:
[2024-09-16 00:31:13.399] [info] [main.cpp:137] [main.cpp][137]: WORD: [RECCE]: DEFINITION: 
[
    [
        {"word":"recce","phonetic":"/ΛˆΙΉΙ›.ki/","phonetics":[{"text":"/ΛˆΙΉΙ›.ki/","audio":""}
    ],
    "meanings":
    [
        {"partOfSpeech":"noun","definitions":[{"definition":"Reconnaissance.", "synonyms":[], "antonyms":[]}
    ], 
    "synonyms":[], "antonyms":[]},
    {"partOfSpeech":"verb","definitions":
        [
            {"definition":"Reconnoitre.", "synonyms":[], "antonyms":[]}
        ],
        "synonyms":["recon"],"antonyms":[]},
        {
            "partOfSpeech":"adjective","definitions":
                [
                    {"definition":"Relating to reconnaissance.",
                        "synonyms":[],
                        "antonyms":[]
                    }
                ],
                "synonyms":[],
                "antonyms":[]
        }
    ],
    "license":{"name":"CC BY-SA 3.0","url":"https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0"},"sourceUrls":["https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/recce"]}]].

This would probably have made sense if it was the correct word. So now, this is no longer about mere words. I don't what's it's about but it's starting to get personal! o0)
 
Wordle 1.185 4/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩


Back to basics. Works much better when I don’t overthink it.
 
Definitely overthought it. Looks like I was playing Yahtzee.
Wordle 1,185 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wordle 1,186 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨ Bam! 3 possible solutions (unbeknownst to me, it was actually 4)
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© 1 left! Yippie! (actually zero without the missing solution)
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬› cranial flatulence...... o0) :headbang:
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 was not on my list of solutions

There should be a sensor that detects and prevents me from playing immediately after a 4 hour nap. With such a simple scenario after my first word was played, I decided to solve the puzzle in my head.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and sbrothy
Wordle 1,186 5/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot from 2024-09-17 14-18-25.png

After 3rd guess I tried cheating again like this:

Code:
sbrothy@PAULINE:~/x2$ ./main -l 5 '^[ABCEFGHJMNOPQTUVXW]{1}EA[ABCEFGHJMNOPQTUVXW]{1}T$' -w csw.txt
[2024-09-17 14:20:05.436] [info] [main.cpp:170] [main.cpp][170]: MATCH: [BEAUT]
[2024-09-17 14:20:05.438] [info] [main.cpp:170] [main.cpp][170]: MATCH: [MEANT]
[2024-09-17 14:20:05.438] [info] [main.cpp:170] [main.cpp][170]: MATCH: [BEAUT]
sbrothy@PAULINE:~/x2$

After trying MEANT I was down to this:

Code:
sbrothy@PAULINE:~/x2$ ./main -l 5 '^[ABCEFGHJOPQTUVXW]{1}EA[ABCEFGHJOPQTUVXW]{1}T$' -w csw.txt
[2024-09-17 14:21:33.112] [info] [main.cpp:170] [main.cpp][170]: MATCH: [BEAUT]
sbrothy@PAULINE:~/x2$

So, a lot of work for not very much. It's a good thing I like goofing around with this stuff.

EDIT: And I see I still have an error with std::set... ah well...
 
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,186 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨ Bam! 3 possible solutions (unbeknownst to me, it was actually 4)
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© 1 left! Yippie! (actually zero without the missing solution)
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬› cranial flatulence...... o0) :headbang:
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 was not on my list of solutions

There should be a sensor that detects and prevents me from playing immediately after a 4 hour nap. With such a simple scenario after my first word was played, I decided to solve the puzzle in my head.
Man, that resonates weirdly. :biggrin:
 
Wordle 1,186 6/6

⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 I had "seen" this possibility, but mentally discarded it because "that's not a word"

OmCheeto said:
was not on my list of solutions

I wonder about the average score for this one
 
gmax137 said:
Wordle 1,186 6/6

⬜⬜🟩🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 I had "seen" this possibility, but mentally discarded it because "that's not a word"
Fortunately for me, when I discovered the solution board going blank, I resorted to my post game online analysis tool, which contained this "not a word". (I concur, though Merriam-Webster does list it.)
I wonder about the average score for this one
Averages:
World: 4.110
PF: 4.400

Late entry: It's also listed in my somewhat dusty 1993, 13ΒΌ lb hardcopy Merriam-Websters, so it's not a new thing. It does state that it's slang though.
 
Last edited:
Found this today, and could not stop laughing.
Reddit has a thing which is basically identical to PF's Wordle thread, but filled with scores of unfiltered comments.

My two favorites:

#1:
"If this is a spoiler delete but who the heck chose today’s word, a used car salesman?"



#2


"
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© BEAST (1)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 BEAUT

This is just a karmic bad joke! I mean... really??
"
 
Wordle 1,187 5/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Dag nabbit! Had I not played this in self imposed hard mode, and with a minor bit of luck, I could have had this in 3.