Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 458K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1 333 5/6

⬛🟨⬛🟨🟩
🟩⬛🟨⬛🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Human error. For some reason I had recorded SCORE instead of CHORE for the solution to #1324. Came back to bite not even two weeks later. Amazing! After guess 4 I was out of remaining words so went to extended 14k list. No new words. Took some serious detective work to keep the streak.
 
Wordle 1,333 2/6

⬛⬛🟨🟨🟩 [PARSE] 3 left: SCORE SNORE SWORE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SCORE] most probable (I could have used CLOWN for a sure win in 3 but, so close to the Super Bowl, what else could it have been?)

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 58/33 - 63.7%/36.3%
 
Wordle1332.png

Assured solution method count update. (Success/Fail): 20/0 - 100.0%/0.0%
 
Wordle 1 334 2/6

🟨🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

ARISE
1739316917845.png

Only 7 left and 2 of them are perfect filters. I am liking CHAIR as a solution but it is a terrible filter in comparison whereas RAPID doesn't seem that unlikely.

On a happy note, having RAPID out of the picture also makes CHAIR a better guess next time this pattern comes up:
1739317109291.png
 
On a separate positive note: It is low statistics, but my rate of solutions in 2 has gone from 2.4% to 15% with the sheet as compared to my full statistics. The probability of getting 2 out of 13 in 2 guesses with a 2.4% rate is ##{13 \choose 2} 0.976^{11} 0.024^2 \simeq 0.034## so ##p < 0.05##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and jack action
Wordle 1,334 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨 CRAMP
🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜ PARKA
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 RAPID

Solution by seat of the pants
 
Wordle 1,335 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜ ARISE
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨 LUNAR
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜ BATIK
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 RUMBA

After my second guess, RUMBA (the solution) popped into my mind but then I thought of other possibilities, so decided to use my third as a filter, rather than "going for it". Looking back at the list of used words, there were really only two choices and I would have tried RUMBA over QUARK, and gotten it in three.
 
Orodruin said:
Why this guess if I may ask? Any particular reason?
My first word covered three vowels and two "popular" letters; this guess (my second word) covers two more popular letters, another vowel, and tried to place the two letters (A and R) I "got" from my first word. I sometimes use LEMON as a second word (popular letters) but in this case, knowing E would be a wasted letter, I thought a bit and LUNAR bubbled up in my mind.
 
gmax137 said:
My first word covered three vowels and two "popular" letters; this guess (my second word) covers two more popular letters, another vowel, and tried to place the two letters (A and R) I "got" from my first word. I sometimes use LEMON as a second word (popular letters) but in this case, knowing E would be a wasted letter, I thought a bit and LUNAR bubbled up in my mind.
I guess this is where knowing the exact remaining words comes in handy. LUNAR has already been used as a solution (#550) and given the remaining words it was actually relatively weak in terms of how well you expect it to discriminate among those (EER of just below 2 - on par with RATTY and only better than UMBRA, WHARF, and QUARK). The main issue I think being that U is just not that common in words containing A and R - at least not among the remaining Wordle solutions. Very surprisingly, the best second guess after ARISE would have been HARRY. I went with RADAR, which was not the best guess in terms of EER, but only slightly off and I thought it more probable to be the solution than HARRY.
 
Orodruin said:
I guess this is where knowing the exact remaining words comes in handy.
Yes. But that's not the game I want to play. I have no problem with other people playing as they wish, I'm just more personally more interested in testing my intuition. And as I mentioned previously, it's getting harder and harder, because I keep on guessing words already used, lol. By the time we get down to all but say 100 words used, I expect my scores will be >6 more often than not, while those "counting cards" will get scores of 1 or 2 almost every time. I'm sure I will stop playing well before then.
 
gmax137 said:
Yes. But that's not the game I want to play. I have no problem with other people playing as they wish, I'm just more personally more interested in testing my intuition. And as I mentioned previously, it's getting harder and harder, because I keep on guessing words already used, lol. By the time we get down to all but say 100 words used, I expect my scores will be >6 more often than not, while those "counting cards" will get scores of 1 or 2 almost every time. I'm sure I will stop playing well before then.
Sure, I respect that. I just find it interesting to see the differences in play styles and how far one can push the differences in strategy from playing the game "casually" as opposed to going "hard-core" with spreadsheets or scripts. That's what scratches my itch. I of course meant no disrespect to how you want to play.
 
Wordle 1 336 5/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Human factor again … I really had it in 4 but for some inexplicable reason entered DILLY, which was already ruled out and not actually suggested by the sheet. Serves me right. Counting this as a 4 for the purposes of the sheet statistics.