Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,786 replies · 463K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1 328 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

ARISE:
1738826064031.png

Ouch! One of the absolutely worst possibilities apart from all blanks. 58 remaining words and the best expected remaining entropy after the next guess being 1.65 ... DIMLY it is:
1738826193464.png

Ok, worse than expected, but still a guaranteed solve in 4. Not really attracted by FOLIO so going with TULIP.
1738826291850.png

Had a feeling ... but did not consider LOGIN or TULIP to be improbable words either so did not want to risk that. Only the second 4 since starting to use the sheet though.
 
Wordle 1,328 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [SANER] 117 left
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› [DOILY] filter - 5 left: CIVIL FILTH PUPIL TULIP VIGIL
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© [CIVIL] possible answer +filter - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [PUPIL]

Orodruin said:
Ouch! One of the absolutely worst possibilities apart from all blanks.
Got you covered here!
Orodruin said:
the best expected remaining entropy after the next guess being 1.65 ... DIMLY it is
I have to ask: my proposed filters for my second guess were DOILY NOILY ROILY SOILY. Obviously, OILY were the 4 most popular letters remaining. I went with DOILY because the N, R, and S were already in the seed word. How does that word score on your spreadsheet? I don't see it on your top 5 words, and there is only one with an O.

I tried using DIMLY as my 2nd guess which left me with 5 words: BLITZ CLIFF FOLIO PUPIL TULIP. TULIP was suggested as my 3rd guess which guaranteed an answer.
 
jack action said:
I have to ask: my proposed filters for my second guess were DOILY NOILY ROILY SOILY. Obviously, OILY were the 4 most popular letters remaining. I went with DOILY because the N, R, and S were already in the seed word. How does that word score on your spreadsheet? I don't see it on your top 5 words, and there is only one with an O.
You don't see it because it is not in my list of possible solutions. Currently the sheet also only computes what the expected entropy was for the first guess so I cannot currently score a word not in the possible solutions list. Might include the computation for it later guesses if I feel the urge.
 
jack action said:
I have to ask: my proposed filters for my second guess were DOILY NOILY ROILY SOILY. Obviously, OILY were the 4 most popular letters remaining. I went with DOILY because the N, R, and S were already in the seed word. How does that word score on your spreadsheet? I don't see it on your top 5 words, and there is only one with an O.

I tried using DIMLY as my 2nd guess which left me with 5 words: BLITZ CLIFF FOLIO PUPIL TULIP. TULIP was suggested as my 3rd guess which guaranteed an answer.
Ok, I did the upgrade to the sheet. DOILY got an expected entropy remaining (EER) of 2.17 with ARISE as the opening. Compare to the 1.65 I got for DIMLY.

With your opening SANER, the entropy remaining (ER) is 6.87 (ufff!). The best guess among the available solutions is DIMLY with an EER of 1.68 (see image for top-11), while DOILY has an EER of 1.69. The words are very similar statistically, with DIMLY just barely getting the better score (with the additional benefit of also being a possible solution).



1738875194106.png


 
Wordle 1,329 4/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› [AROSE] 33 left
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [CLIPT] filter - 3 left: HASTY STANK SWATH
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬› [HASTY] most probable
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SWATH]

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 57/33 - 63.3%/36.7%