Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game
- Thread starter fresh_42
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 457K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 22,832
- 14,880
That’s a lot of white!gmax137 said:
![]()
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
Orodruin said:That’s a lot of white!
I think that's the most misses I have ever had. Too bad it wasn't eggs, they're running 6 to 9 USD/dozen here, two to three times what they "should be."
edit: in case you're curious, here's the words
Wordle 1,350 5/6
Last edited:
edwardII
- 1
- 803
Wordle 1,350 5/6

























- 22,832
- 14,880
Wordle 1 351 4/6




















OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 1,351 5/6

























Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
Wordle 1,351 4/6




[ARISE] 27 left




[DUROY] filter - 6 left: HOVER MOVER MOWER OFFER ROGER TOWER




[MOWER] filter - 2 left: HOVER ROGER




[HOVER] most probable
most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 62/33 - 65.3%/34.7%
most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 62/33 - 65.3%/34.7%
edwardII
- 1
- 803
Wordle 1,351 4/6




















- 22,832
- 14,880
Wordle 1 352 2/6










Pretty nice one. 8 left after seed with DEITY and EYING both being perfect filters. Guaranteed solution in 3 and on top DEITY seemed like one of the more reasonable words left.
Statistics after 30 days of using the spreadsheet:
1: 0
2: 5
3: 15
4: 10
5: 0*
6: 0
X: 0
* I did have a couple of 5s, but those were due to human error so I’m not blaming the sheet for those.
In particular my rate of solutions in 2 has increased dramatically from about 2% to 17% …
Pretty nice one. 8 left after seed with DEITY and EYING both being perfect filters. Guaranteed solution in 3 and on top DEITY seemed like one of the more reasonable words left.
Statistics after 30 days of using the spreadsheet:
1: 0
2: 5
3: 15
4: 10
5: 0*
6: 0
X: 0
* I did have a couple of 5s, but those were due to human error so I’m not blaming the sheet for those.
In particular my rate of solutions in 2 has increased dramatically from about 2% to 17% …
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 1,352 3/6















sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
Wordle 1.352 4/6*




















Been a while....
Been a while....
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
Wordle 1,352 3/6




[ARISE] 8 left - DEIGN DEITY EDIFY EKING EVICT EYING PLIED WEIGH




[EYING] filter - 1 left




[DEITY]
My program suggested DYING as a filter so I naturally went with EYING.
My program suggested DYING as a filter so I naturally went with EYING.
- 22,832
- 14,880
Both EYING and DEITY were perfect filtersjack action said:Wordle 1,352 3/6
[ARISE] 8 left - DEIGN DEITY EDIFY EKING EVICT EYING PLIED WEIGH
[EYING] filter - 1 left
[DEITY]
My program suggested DYING as a filter so I naturally went with EYING.
edwardII
- 1
- 803
Wordle 1,352 4/6




















OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 1,353 4/6




















Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
Wordle 1,353 4/6




[ARISE] 5 left - SAFER SANER SHEAR SPEAR SWEAR




[SAFER] most probable - 3 left: SHEAR SPEAR SWEAR




[SWEAR] most probable - 2 left




[SPEAR] most probable
I could have had it with a guaranteed 4 with a proper filter as a 2nd guess (I would have got it in 3), but decided to try the most-probable technique. Meh.
most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 63/35 - 64.3%/35.7%
I could have had it with a guaranteed 4 with a proper filter as a 2nd guess (I would have got it in 3), but decided to try the most-probable technique. Meh.
most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 63/35 - 64.3%/35.7%
- 22,832
- 14,880
Wordle 1 353 2/6










Ka-CHING!
Ka-CHING!
Me too! among the words guaranteeing a solution in 4jack action said:but decided to try the most-probable technique
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Ok. Just DM me your bank deposit account number and I'll transfer whatever you request to take a look at your spreadsheet. I may not understand higher level mathspeaks, but I can decipher spreadsheetspeak quite well.Orodruin said:Wordle 1 353 2/6
Ka-CHING!
Me too! among the words guaranteeing a solution in 4
edwardII
- 1
- 803
My lame seed word finally paid off. 
Wordle 1,353 2/6










Wordle 1,353 2/6
- 22,832
- 14,880
I am happy to let anyone have a look. I'll DM you a view-only link. If you want to make changes you can always create a personal copy.OmCheeto said:Ok. Just DM me your bank deposit account number and I'll transfer whatever you request to take a look at your spreadsheet. I may not understand higher level mathspeaks, but I can decipher spreadsheetspeak quite well.
- 22,832
- 14,880
Wordle 1 354 4/6




















Missed the 50/50 in the end. Hard to pick one of them over the other …
Missed the 50/50 in the end. Hard to pick one of them over the other …
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 1,354 4/6




















Thanks! I'll have a look. I pretty much figured out the basics, but I have to create a new spreadsheet for word lists of different sizes. So far I'm only up to 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 14. Just curious how big your lists can get.Orodruin said:I am happy to let anyone have a look. I'll DM you a view-only link. If you want to make changes you can always create a personal copy.
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
Wordle 1,354 4/6




[ARISE] 55 left




[NOBLY] filter - 5 left: CHECK FETCH TEETH THEFT TWEET




[FETCH] filter + possible answer - 1 left




[CHECK]
edwardII
- 1
- 803
Wordle 1,354 4/6




















- 22,832
- 14,880
Wordle 1 355 3/6















OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
Wordle 1,355 3/6















@Orodruin , I haven't completed the translation of your spreadsheet yet. Lots of boogers with a locked spreadsheet. I can't seem to gain access to what a appears to be some type of subroutine:
WORDLEMATCH(B$1,$A2)
Just completed making a copy for myself, so I may try and find it in the morning.
@Orodruin , I haven't completed the translation of your spreadsheet yet. Lots of boogers with a locked spreadsheet. I can't seem to gain access to what a appears to be some type of subroutine:
WORDLEMATCH(B$1,$A2)
Just completed making a copy for myself, so I may try and find it in the morning.
- 22,832
- 14,880
That is a scripted function I wrote on the side. In essence, it returns the number of the pattern for an assumed solution if you make a particular guess (I don’t remember which the order of the arguments is off the top of my head).OmCheeto said:I can't seem to gain access to what a appears to be some type of subroutine:
WORDLEMATCH(B$1,$A2)
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
Wordle 1,355 3/6




[ARISE] 11 left




[POUTY] filter - 1 left




[SCRUM]
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,663
What's really odd is that while my copy is editable and claims; "Unknown Function: 'WORDLEMATCH'."Orodruin said:That is a scripted function I wrote on the side. In essence, it returns the number of the pattern for an assumed solution if you make a particular guess (I don’t remember which the order of the arguments is off the top of my head).
The function is obviously working, as it's giving me legitimate values.
This is an analysis of game # 1,345 from 10 days ago.
OLD Wordle 1,345 4/6
Interesting that my second guess was the worst choice!
Obviously I was still using my old method.
But it's definitely going to take me at least a month to decipher the 'black box' of WORDLEMATCH.
I've mimicked it quite well with the exception of how to deal with double letters like in 'OTTER'.
| Word | E(S) | EER | 2^E(s) |
| TOWER | 6.755 | 0.68 | 1.60 |
| MOVER | 8.755 | 0.88 | 1.83 |
| MOWER | 8.755 | 0.88 | 1.83 |
| OTTER | 10.000 | 1.00 | 2.00 |
| HOVER | 11.510 | 1.15 | 2.22 |
| ODDER | 13.610 | 1.36 | 2.57 |
| ROGER | 14.755 | 1.48 | 2.78 |
| TENOR | 15.510 | 1.55 | 2.93 |
| OFFER | 15.610 | 1.56 | 2.95 |
| DECOR | 19.651 | 1.97 | 3.90 |
- 22,832
- 14,880
If you analyse old games you should remove the words that were not yet used back then from the used words tab.OmCheeto said:This is an analysis of game # 1,345 from 10 days ago.
It works rather straightforwardly.OmCheeto said:Obviously I was still using my old method.
But it's definitely going to take me at least a month to decipher the 'black box' of WORDLEMATCH.
I've mimicked it quite well with the exception of how to deal with double letters like in 'OTTER'.
First it checks every position of the guess if that letter is correct and correctly placed. If so, that position is assigned the number 2 to identify green. It replaces the position in the target string with a zero so it will not give hits in the following.
Then it checks all remaining letters of the guess if that letter exists anywhere in the target string and if so assigns a 1 for ”yellow”.
All positions without hits are assigned 0 for ”gray”.
I then convert the value of the resulting string of 0, 1, 2s (or actually, its reverse) from trinary to decimal representation, getting a number between 0 and 242 that uniquely identifies the pattern.
For example, guessing STINK if the solution is SNUCK would be the pattern
Last edited: