Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
To add to the above: I compute the pattern id for all remaining words for each guess. Then I keep only those words that match the pattern result for all guesses in the analysis.

The analysis then computes the pattern for guessing each remaining word for the case when each remaining word is the solution. This results in a list of which patterns are possible for each guess and how many remaining words would result in each pattern. It is this information that I then do math magic on to score each remaining word based on how many words are expected (or rather, the expected logarithm of the number) to remain after guessing that word.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1 356 2/6

🟩🟨⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Had this been two months ago I would have had my first 1 ... 😭
Anyway, simple 2, only one left after the seed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII, jack action and OmCheeto
Wordle 1,356 2/6

🟩🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

100% luck here. Only 2 choices after my ARTSY seed.
 
Wordle 1,356 2/6

🟩🟨⬛⬛🟨 [ARISE] 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [ALERT]

More impressive than it looks. Pure luck. I forgot to set the options to ignore past answers, so I actually had 6 left with my seed. It was the best filter but not a perfect one. I realized my error when I read @Orodruin 's post.
 
Wordle 1 357 3/6

⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Super-standard. Around the expected entropy left after seed. I chose a slightly sub-optimal second guess on the grounds that I thought it more likely to be a solution (TRUNK vs DRUNK) and only the solution remained after that.
 
Last edited:
Wordle 1,357 3/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛🟨 RECUT 14 remaining
🟨🟩⬛🟨⬛ ORATE 1 remaining
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Quite the circus. 3 spreadsheets and 2 browsers open while playing confused me to the point where I forgot to blank out the 3 black letters from my seed word leading to the 2nd guess having one of those letters again. But for some reason this turned out for the best as the somewhat wonky 2nd guess eliminated all but the solution. I might have had it in 4 if I had played correctly. Another weird thing was that had I played correctly, my second guess would have been my seed word from yesterday.
 
Wordle 1,358 5/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛🟨 [ARISE] 31 left
⬛🟨⬛🟨⬛ [GLINT] filter - 3 left: LADEN NAVEL PENAL
⬛🟨🟨🟨🟩 [PENAL] big mistake - 1 left
🟨🟩⬛🟩🟨 [LADEN] stupid mistake - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [NAVEL]

The worst part is that I wanted to use the final answer as my third guess (the most-probable method), but I was too tired and thought my choice was better for filtering the outcome. Then, based on my wrongful assumption for filtering, I thought the only possible answer was my fourth guess, so I didn't even bother to check it with the program.

Mistakes cannot get bigger or stupider. This is how space shuttles explode in mid-air.
 
Wordle 1,359 3/6

⬛🟩⬛⬛🟨 [ARISE] 11 left: CREED CREEK CREEP CRUEL ERECT FREED FREER GREED PREEN TRUER WRECK
🟨🟨⬛⬛⬛ [EDUCT] filter - 2 left: FREED GREED
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [GREED] most probable

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 64/35 - 64.6%/35.4%
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,358 5/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛🟨 [ARISE] 31 left
⬛🟨⬛🟨⬛ [GLINT] filter - 3 left: LADEN NAVEL PENAL
...
Was the inclusion of the 'I' in the second guess on purpose, or a brain-fart like my game 1,357?
Given that 'A' and 'E' still needed locating, GLENT struck me as more logical filter.
 
OmCheeto said:
Was the inclusion of the 'I' in the second guess on purpose, or a brain-fart like my game 1,357?
Given that 'A' and 'E' still needed locating, GLENT struck me as more logical filter.
My imperfect program suggested it. It was most likely looking for a word with G, L, N, and T and first looked in the possible answers, then - if not found - in the full answer list, and then - if still not found - in the possible guess list. GLENT is in the latter, and GLINT is one of the possible answers for any puzzle, so it was found first.
 
Wordle 1,360 2/6

⬛⬛🟩🟨🟩 [ARISE] 7 left: SEIZE SLIDE SLIME SNIDE SNIPE SPITE SUITE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SPITE] :partytime:

I could technically owe this one to the most-probable method. There were no good filters. (PLANT was proposed by my program.) I had to choose one amongst the words I like most as an answer, in order of preference:

SUITE (been waiting for a long time for this one);
SEIZE (because of the Z);
SNIPE, SPITE (because of the P);
SLIME (because of the M);
SNIDE, SLIDE (not challenging enough).

So my choices could possibly filter:

SPITE -> SUITE or SNIPE on the next guess;
SNIPE -> SPITE or SNIDE on the next guess;
SNIDE -> SNIPE or SLIDE on the next guess;
SLIDE -> SLIME or SNIDE on the next guess;
SLIME -> SLIDE on the next guess;
SUITE -> SPITE on the next guess;
SEIZE would have been useless as a filter.
 
jack action said:
... There were no good filters ...
Whilst playing with @Orodruin 's spreadsheet, I discovered that NEMPT was a perfect second guess filter in this case. I'm guessing it took me at least an hour to find it.

jack action said:
... [SPOILER ALERT] was proposed by my program ...
So did mine! But as I impled above, other words were also mentioned:
DEMPT, MILTZ, NEMPT, PLANT, PLOTZ

ps. While I previously stated that it would take me a month to figure out all of the bells and whistles of Orodruin's spreadsheet, I've decided that I will probably die of old age before that happens.
 
OmCheeto said:
While I previously stated that it would take me a month to figure out all of the bells and whistles of Orodruin's spreadsheet, I've decided that I will probably die of old age before that happens.
I hope you have more than a month left!! 😱
 
Wordle 1,361 3/6

🟨🟩⬛⬛⬛ [ARISE] 15 left
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩 [DRANK] filter + possible answer - 3 left: CRACK TRACK WRACK
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [TRACK] most probable

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 65/35 - 65.0%/35.0%