Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
Wordle 1,361 4/6

🟩🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1 362 4/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bad luck on this one. Third guess was between what I used and the solution. Both perfect filters among 5 words along with MANGY.
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,362 3/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬› [ARISE] 63 left
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› [CLINT] filter - 6 left: BANJO GONAD MANGO MANGY NOMAD PAGAN
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [MANGO] filter - As opposed to @Orodruin , I was lucky!
Well ... you managed to eliminate my third guess (TANGO) with your second guess ...
 
DRATS! Had I waited for @Orodruin 's spreadsheet to finish its work, its choice for my second word would have left only the solution, and hence, the game in 3. Though I'm not sure if that's just a fluke/feature of the spreadsheet whereby it limits the number of words analyzed to 103, and my choice, SOUTH, was eliminated.

OmCheeto method
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ FILER 145 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› SOUTH 5 left: BANJO, ANNOY, KNOWN,
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨 AMONG 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 MANGO


Orodruin method, with word limit feature
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ FILER 145 left
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› MOUTH 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 MANGO


So it would have just been dumb luck to get it in 3, as I believe SOUTH was statistically the better choice.

ps. My current set of 26 seed words are all anagrams from my top 100 ranked seed words.
 
OmCheeto said:
DRATS! Had I waited for @Orodruin 's spreadsheet to finish its work, its choice for my second word would have left only the solution, and hence, the game in 3. Though I'm not sure if that's just a fluke/feature of the spreadsheet whereby it limits the number of words analyzed to 103, and my choice, SOUTH, was eliminated.

OmCheeto method
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ FILER 145 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› SOUTH 5 left: BANJO, ANNOY, KNOWN,
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨 AMONG 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 MANGO


Orodruin method, with word limit feature
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ FILER 145 left
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› MOUTH 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 MANGO


So it would have just been dumb luck to get it in 3, as I believe SOUTH was statistically the better choice.

ps. My current set of 26 seed words are all anagrams from my top 100 ranked seed words.
Why use a seed word including F, such a rare occurring letter?

Keeping all other letters - among the possible answers - PLIER, PERIL, IDLER would give better results. Even RIFLE would have been slightly better than FILER!

Getting out of the possible answers and just changing the first letter, OILER, TILER, SILER, PILER, MILER should have given better results.(not tested though)
 
Wordle 1,363 2/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

All luck. Only two choices after the seed.
 
Wordle 1 363 3/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩


OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,363 2/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

All luck. Only two choices after the seed.
Three here. Was between my second guess and the solution … again …
 
Wordle 1,363 2/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© [ARISE] 3 left: CEASE CHASE LEASE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [CHASE] most probable

There are 3 equally valid filters remaining. It's an ideal game to test the most-probable method. The presence of the H did it for me.

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 66/35 - 65.3%/34.7%
 
Wordle 1,364 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ© [ARISE] 9 left: BIBLE BILGE CUTIE DIODE GENIE IMBUE LIEGE NIECE PIECE
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© [LIEGE] filter - 2 left: NIECE PIECE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [PIECE] most probable (because of the P)

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 67/35 - 65.7%/34.3%
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,364 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ© [ARISE] 9 left: BIBLE BILGE CUTIE DIODE GENIE IMBUE LIEGE NIECE PIECE
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© [LIEGE] filter - 2 left: NIECE PIECE
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [PIECE] most probable (because of the P)

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 67/35 - 65.7%/34.3%
Well dag nabbit, had Orodruin and I realized that your most Probable method indicated that 'P' takes Precedence over other letters, we'd both have shaved a guess off our lists.
 
OmCheeto said:
Well dag nabbit, had Orodruin and I realized that your most Probable method indicated that 'P' takes Precedence over other letters, we'd both have shaved a guess off our lists.
No, you would not have, because the N was a popular letter that would have helped you eliminate an answer. I also hesitated between your second guess and mine. But once stuck choosing between P and N only, the choice was obvious to me. P is less popular than N, so it was the "challenging" letter of the word. There seem to always be one lately.

With this method, having 67 successes out of 102 trials (and the percentage doesn't change much the further I test it), there is only about a 1 in 1003 odd that you can get at least this outcome with a perfectly random coin toss. I guess I'm doing something right.
 
jack action said:
With this method, having 67 successes out of 102 trials (and the percentage doesn't change much the further I test it), there is only about a 1 in 1003 odd that you can get at least this outcome with a perfectly random coin toss. I guess I'm doing something right.
The issue I have is that you seem to have a lot of internal rules that differ wildly from case to case. Ranging from ”contains P” to ”is a positive sounding word” (sometimes debatably so). This makes it all seem pretty arbitrary.

What you have shown is that something you are doing is singling out correct solutions more often than not. The problem is we don’t know which part it is (or if there are several factors) until you can break the data down for different causes.
 
Orodruin said:
The issue I have is that you seem to have a lot of internal rules that differ wildly from case to case. Ranging from ”contains P” to ”is a positive sounding word” (sometimes debatably so). This makes it all seem pretty arbitrary.

What you have shown is that something you are doing is singling out correct solutions more often than not. The problem is we don’t know which part it is (or if there are several factors) until you can break the data down for different causes.
The key is to imagine that the word is selected by a human being. Every human has a pattern. The pattern can change, but there is still one. The pattern may change because the human was changed. It doesn't matter.

Contrary to other Wordle puzzles found on other sites, the word is obviously not chosen arbitrarily by an algorithm. That is the point I'm trying to prove.
 
Wordle 1,365 4/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© [ARISE] 16 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬› [GLINT] filter - 3 left: FABLE LADLE VALVE
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ© [FABLE] most probable - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [LADLE]

Although LADLE has two Ls that makes it a little challenging, I went with FABLE with the rarely occurring F. Why not VALVE with its Vs? They don't like mechanical/electrical/electronic part terms, anything too technical for the average Joe. (I noticed that because those are the words that speak to me and they never get picked.)

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 67/36 - 65.0%/35.0%
 
Wordle 1,366 3/6

πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› PARSE 7 left
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ CLOWN 1 left. Modified Orodruin method.
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 STAMP
 
Last edited:
Wordle 1,367 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬› RINSE 22 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬› PLUSH 1 left: Orodruin/jack action/OmCheeto hybrid method
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 LASSO