Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,779 replies · 459K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 825 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

How do you guys solve these?

I pick a "random" starting word, just something that pops. Today went like this:

β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨ CRUMB, because I was looking at R. Crumb comics earlier.

So I have either _RUB_ or BRU_ _. The first one doesn't look like a word, whereas the second made me think "BRUSH" and then BRUNT, BRUTE, BRUIN.
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬› BRUNT because this would expose both N and T
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 BRUSH because neither N nor T are correct.

Looking back, the _RUB_ could have been ARUBA. I don't have the list of words*, so I don't know if place names are possible answers. I can't recall seeing any in the puzzles I have done. I also don't have the list of previous answers, so I can't eliminate possibilities that way. Same thing with plurals, I don't think they are solutions.

*I did see the list sometime last year, but I deleted the file since I felt using the list would be "cheating."


Just curious how you guys do these.
 
Wordle 826 5/6*

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I thought hardmode prevented me from reusing letters that were already excluded but apparently not.
 
Wordle 827 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

gmax137 said:
How do you guys solve these?
My method is almost completely mechanized via a spreadsheet and has been evolving continuously since I started playing. I currently have 15 seed words that I rotate through. My list of seed words changes every couple of months when I either get bored with them or develop some new peculiar way to rank the words. I'm guessing my method is approaching that of Wordle Bot, though Wordle Bot is stuck on the "SLATE" seed word at the start of each game, which gives it a bit of an advantage, IMHO.
 
fresh_42 said:
I hate it when they do this:
Wordle 827 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Wordle 827 5/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩I feel your pain.
 
Wordle 827 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟦🟦⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
gmax137 said:
How do you guys solve these?
I also use a spreadsheet with a list of about 2400 five-letter candidates. Unlike @OmCheeto, I always use the same seed word as the bot which is "SLATE". I have made a list of second words contingent upon the response to "SLATE". In this particular case, "T" was the only letter in the target word but in the wrong place. When that happens, my contingency second word is "THORN". I chose it because it maximizes the number of expected hits in the sense that there are only 3 words on the list that (a) have a T but not in position 4 and (b) have no common letters with THORN. These are DIGIT, TIMID and TWIXT. In today's word I got enough hits to eliminate all but one candidate and actually beat the bot.

I removed a screenshot which I will reinstate after the statute of limitations for this puzzle has expired. I hope I didn't give too much away.

It's back in a spoiler as @sbrothy suggested.

Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 2.50.44 PM.png

 
Last edited:
kuruman said:
Wordle 827 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟦🟦⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

I also use a spreadsheet with a list of about 2400 five-letter candidates. Unlike @OmCheeto, I always use the same seed word as the bot which is "SLATE". I have made a list of second words contingent upon the response to "SLATE". In this particular case, "T" was the only letter in the target word but in the wrong place. When that happens, my contingency second word is "THORN". I chose it because it maximizes the number of expected hits in the sense that there are only 3 words on the list that (a) have a T but not in position 4 and (b) have no common letters with THORN. These are DIGIT, TIMID and TWIXT. In today's word I got enough hits to eliminate all but one candidate and actually beat the bot.

I removed a screenshot which I will reinstate after the statute of limitations for this puzzle has expired. I hope I didn't give too much away.
I alternate between startwords. Using a spreadsheet seems to me to be a little overkill for what is basically a passtime activity. My favorite right now is SAINT or STAIN. But I use AUDIO, AUREI; heck sometimes even SQUAD and PHONY.I'm sure you get better results though. But again... passtime activity....

EDIT: BTW just include your screenshot between SPOILER tags. I f people want to cheat I just feel sorry for them.