Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,779 replies · 460K views
fresh_42 said:
And I learned my second Danish word when I used my translator yesterday: blå. The first one was tak.
In English "blah, blah, blah" means "talk, talk, talk."
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
In English "blah, blah, blah" means "talk, talk, talk."
Likewise in Danish.
 
Wordle 833 6/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My dad used to say, "oh for crying out loud!"
 
Just a thougt... Haven't they almost used up the 5 letter words? I mean how long can they the keep it up? It seems to me the Idea of payment comes rather late.
 
Last edited:
sbrothy said:
Just a thougt... Haven't they almost used up the 5 letter words? I mean how long can they the keep it up? It seems to me the Idea of payment comes rather late.
My records indicate that ≈36% of the original 5 letter words have been used. I also got clued in by Wordlebot that at least 19 new words have been added, though I may have misinterpreted what it was trying to tell me, so I won't share those words, as some of them may be accepted, but are not solutions.

According to my maths, the game would end around the 1st of November in 2027, if nothing were done to extend the game.
 
OmCheeto said:
According to my maths, the game would end around the 1st of November in 2027, if nothing were done to extend the game.
Only for those players who have the list of allowed words and cross them off as they come up. I don't do that, and I can't tell you what the day-before-yesterday's answer was. To me, keeping the list is like counting cards in blackjack - it is not really in the spirit of the game.
 
Wordle 837 3/6

🟨⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟨⬛🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

gmax137 said:
To me, keeping the list is like counting cards in blackjack - it is not really in the spirit of the game.
That's why I let people know that I'm doing it, and am more in a battle with Wordlebot and other augmented humans. I also use it to improve my spreadsheet skills.
 
I (usually, i.e. if I don't forget) check whether a potential guess has already been a used word. Otherwise, not least due to the fact that my vocabulary as a non-native speaker is significantly smaller than that of native speakers, I would use the same words over and over again. And the longer the competition lasts, the more of my potential guesses turn out to have been already used.

I also use a spell and grammar checker on my computer when I write in English. The main reason is that our grammar rules concerning commata are more or less the opposite of the English ones. I regularly forget the Oxford comma in lists because in German the 'and' is already considered as that comma.

6 guesses are simply too few in English if all words are in the urn. English has a Hamming distance of basically 1. Change one letter and you get a valid new word, and that holds true for usually half a dozen exchange letters.