Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #1,716
fresh_42 said:
The word isn't actually used very often by non-native speakers. I mean, what sort of dialogue would that be???
Suggested dialogue between Grace and John in Sanskrit which has a cool-looking alphabet. I used Google Translate and put a blank where the puzzle word goes in the English version. Using the app to retranslate in English is an identity operation, I checked. I suppose native speakers of the language will use the English word in this context.

अनुग्रहः - अहं सञ्चिकाः संपीड्य भवद्भ्यः प्रेषयिष्यामि।

जॉनः - न, कृपया संपीडनं मा कुरुत, अहं तान् ____ कर्तुं न शक्नोमि।

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,717
kuruman said:
Suggested dialogue between Grace and John in Sanskrit which has a cool-looking alphabet. I used Google Translate and put a blank where the puzzle word goes in the English version. Using the app to retranslate in English is an identity operation, I checked. I suppose native speakers of the language will use the English word in this context.

अनुग्रहः - अहं सञ्चिकाः संपीड्य भवद्भ्यः प्रेषयिष्यामि।

जॉनः - न, कृपया संपीडनं मा कुरुत, अहं तान् ____ कर्तुं न शक्नोमि।
Where the heck is a zipper on a साड़ी ?

• #1,718
fresh_42 said:
Where the heck is a zipper on a साड़ी ?
See here. :oldsmile:

Likes scottdave and Astronuc
  • #1,721
Wordle 674 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,722
Wordle 674 4/6

⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,723
Wordle 674 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟧⬜
⬜⬜🟦⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,724
Wordle 674 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜ cheating, did not use the yellow letter from above
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I really wonder, how our minds are able to make guesses like my third word. All I did was look at the used/unused summary on the Wordle screen and it just popped. Weird.

Likes scottdave
  • #1,725
fresh_42 said:
The word isn't actually used very often by non-native speakers. I mean, what sort of dialogue would that be???
I can imagine one at least. I've been told to zip it before. In more than one context. :) but perhaps not in as few or exact words.

My penultimate attempt was "UNRIP" and that made the solution clear. I suspect a native speaker would have skiped that one but who knows. Funnily, I enlisted a person I consider quite intelligent (but unfortunately in the social department. Not word-wise). In the the end he was no help.

I could have used some scrabble help site or merriam but that would just have been sad. If I did I might as well just ask ChatGPT. (Ironically, The quality of the help would probably be the same).

No, if it takes another try then so be it. What counts is I get it.

If I'm the the only non-native speaker participating I'll be darned if I'll stoop to cheating!

• #1,726
sbrothy said:
My penultimate attempt was "UNRIP"
Mine was "UNPIN".

• #1,727
Oh, I disrupted my streak. I forgot all about it. I started but never finished because surprisingly something more important came up. I need to get my priorities straight. :)

• #1,729
And I'm back to making stupid late night mistakes. But at least I got in 4:

Wordle 675 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,730
gmax137 said:
Wordle 674 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜ cheating, did not use the yellow letter from above
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I really wonder, how our minds are able to make guesses like my third word. All I did was look at the used/unused summary on the Wordle screen and it just popped. Weird.
It's like using muscle-memory. Like high-way hypnosis. The more you've trained consciously the easier the solution comes unconsciously. Sometimes in dreams even.

I've heard of musicians who feel embarrassed about the applause after a performance because they felt it wasn't "themselves" who performed but the internalized faculty.

Which is a little silly of course. Without the hours upon hours of conscious effort they wouldn't be able to do it at all.

EDIT: And about the "cheating" you need to enable "hardmode" :)

• #1,731
Wordle 675 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,732
DrGreg said:
Wordle 675 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I see, you don't like villains either. :cool:

• #1,733
fresh_42 said:
DrGreg said:
Wordle 675 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
After guess 2, I already knew the answer matched ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩 but there are quite a lot of matches.

• #1,734
fresh_42 said:
I know my next guess.

• #1,735
Wordle 675 1/6

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And without the clue:

Wordle 675 5/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Interestingly, Wordlebot took 6 guesses to get the answer. Since I've been monitoring, I don't recall it ever taking more than 5 guesses.

• #1,736
Wordle 675 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜🟦🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟧⬜🟧🟧
⬜🟧⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,737
I'm gonna try to solve it tonight, Trying to do it in the morning doesn't really make that much of a difference. Admittedly I may use one more try but as long as I'm the only non-native speaker I'm guessing it must be somewhat embarrassing.

(I'm joking: If you hear me try to pronounce "stereoisometry" or "encephalograhic enhancement" you wont be in doubt, ;)

BTW, if anyone want to play scrabble on isc.ro I'm game. :)I always cringe when Danish politicians "speak English" with that specific Danish accent.

• #1,740
Wordle 676 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I just have to ef up. From now on I turn on hardmode. At least that will catch these stupid mistakes.

• #1,741
Wordle 676 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,742
sbrothy said:
I can imagine one at least. I've been told to zip it before. In more than one context. :) but perhaps not in as few or exact words.

My penultimate attempt was "UNRIP" and that made the solution clear. I suspect a native speaker would have skiped that one but who knows. Funnily, I enlisted a person I consider quite intelligent (but unfortunately in the social department. Not word-wise). In the the end he was no help.

I could have used some scrabble help site or merriam but that would just have been sad. If I did I might as well just ask ChatGPT. (Ironically, The quality of the help would probably be the same).

No, if it takes another try then so be it. What counts is I get it.

If I'm the the only non-native speaker participating I'll be darned if I'll stoop to cheating!
Then there is Zip to compress data. So there would a word relating to uncompressing the data.

• #1,743
Wordle 676 3/6

⬛🟨⬛⬛🟨
🟨⬛⬛🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,745
scottdave said:
Wordle 676 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
This was a mean word. Did I say a word? I mean it was a mean abbreviation, except for in Paris.

Likes scottdave
  • #1,746
Wordle 677 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Forgot to enable hardmode. So it goes.

You didn't find it too easy I see. That's a comfort at least.

My method may be too heuristic as opposed to... yeh you know...

• #1,747
fresh_42 said:
This was a mean word. Did I say a word? I mean it was a mean abbreviation, except for in Paris.
My French is a little rusty. Could you maybe explain that joke to me? I'm not the fastest moped in these woods.

My Russian on the other hand. Had only 80% truancy so I kinda maybe know the cyrillic alphabet. Or not.

• #1,748
Wordle 676 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦🟦
⬜🟦🟦⬜⬜
🟧⬜🟧🟦🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Likes sbrothy
  • #1,750
sbrothy said:
My French is a little rusty. Could you maybe explain that joke to me? I'm not the fastest moped in these woods.

My Russian on the other hand. Had only 80% truancy so I kinda maybe know the cyrillic alphabet. Or not.
Metro is the Paris subway. Otherwise, I only know it as an abbreviation of metropolitan. That's probably the reason for the name of the Paris underground railway, too, but it has become its official name: le métro (de Paris).