1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work: an object falls onto a spring. Find max. dist. the spring is compressed.

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    Until I learn to walk my name might pop up a lot in this thread...

A block of mass m = 2.4 kg is dropped from height h = 59 cm onto a spring of spring constant k = 1240 N/m. Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

Answer: 0.170m

The first thing I did was convert the height from centimeters to meters so that all the units could work nicely together giving me 0.59 m.

Then I found Work using mgrCos(theta).
    W = mgrCos(theta)
    W = 2.4 kg(9.8 m/(s^2))(0.59 m)Cos(0)
    W = 13.8768 J

After I played around with a more general equation of Work.
    W = ΔK + ΔU
    W = Kf - Ki + Uf - Ui

However, since the spring is in equilibrium before the block falls on it, conceptually, I saw that the Ui should equal to zero so my equation is,
    W = Kf - Ki +Uf

And we know that Ki = 1240 N/m so,
    W = Kf - 1240 N/m + Uf
    W = 1/2m(v^2) - 1240 N/m + mgy

13.8768 J = 1/2(2.4 kg)(Vf^2) - 1240 N/m + 2.4 kg(9.8 m/(s^2))(y)
    Now, I wrote Vf because it's an unknown and though I think there is a way to solve it using Work I went on to use a kinematic equation because I'm still very new to Work and have not yet learned how to do that.
    Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2aΔy
    Vf^2 = 9.8 m/(s^2)(0.59 m)
    Vf^2 = 11.564 m/s

Back to my equation,
    13.8768 J = 1/2(2.4 kg)(11.564 m/2) - 1240 N/m + 23.52 N(y)
    13.8768 J = 13.8768 J - 1240 N/m + 23.52 N(y)
    0 = -1240 N/m + 23.52 N(y)
    1240 N/m = 23.52 N(y)
    52.72 /m = y
    As you can see something went horribly wrong! I'm new to Work but I felt pretty confident approaching this problem until I got to the end. Not only is my answer numerically incorrect but the units seem impossible; nothing over meters?

Can somebody help show me what I did wrong with this question? I'm sorry if it was difficult to follow, mathematics on text always seems like a puzzle to me.

Thank you for taking the time to review my question, I greatly appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2
    i think u r wrong at taking the height that the object falls as 0.59m. actually the height should be 0.59 +x, where x is the compression of the spring. at that point there is no KE. so, the relevant eqn. should be (from conservation of energy),
    mg(h+x) = 1/2 kx2.
    this is a quadratic eqn. in x. now solve for x, if u know how to solve a quadratic eqn.

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3
    Thank you, you are absolutely right! The math is so much shorter this way too!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook