1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and energy in simple harmonic motion concept

Tags:
  1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the statement cirrect: "the rate at which a wave transfers energy depends on the amplitude at which the particles of the medium are vibrating."

And does the energy=A^2 ?
    2. Relevant equations
    E (proportional) A^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the statement I am about confused, because I think that the rate mentioned refers to velocity of the wave and that's constant (in a given medium and temperature). I also believe that the higher the amplitude the more energy the wave will carry but how will that affect rate of energy transferred?

For the second question, I think that the equation should be E=(1/2)k*A^2

(Where A is max displacement or amplitude)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

ogg

dA/dt = kA....right? this answers the first question. The second question is lots more ambiguous. When EVER you have an equation of the form A = bC, you can ALWAYS pick UNITS such that A' = C'. (These units are almost NEVER standard SI (or any other official) units). So, the second answer is "maybe" ...my answer would be "no, not unless you choose units in which k was 1 (unitless)"...but that's an advanced position for a beginning student to take.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted