• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Work and Energy with Electricity

• Thread starter xxkbxx
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
A 0.010-kg positively-charged particle is accelerated by a uniform electric field directed to the right. The object accelerates from 5.0 to 15.0 m/s while traveling a distance of 0.10 m.

Use the definition of potential energy to determine the change in electric potential energy of the particle. Is the change an increase or a decrease?

2. Homework Equations
Wel = Kf - Ki
Wel = -Delta-U
Delta-V = W/q0

3. The Attempt at a Solution
The definition of electric potential is equal to -delta-U / q0
Delta-U is negative because the work of the problem from Electric Field comes out to 1 Joule from the definition of work. So, delta-U is -1 J, meaning that the electric potential change is positive since q0 is positive - but I cannot figure out how to find q0's magnitude. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something from the given to determine the value of q0, but I'm otherwise stumped!

Answers and Replies

you know the change in KE, use that to find the change in U and q

How do they compare? I cannot find an equation in my textbook related U and q to the Change in Kinetic Energy.

Law of Conservation of Energy, what its lost in potential it has gained in kinetic. U=qdeltaV

Still though, I know U, but I don't know my q or delta-V values. Let me know if I'm overlooking something obvious that you're assuming that I know!

You know the field and the distance it acts over

Gotcha, it looks a lot better after a nights rest, I kept thinking it was Electric Potential, not Electric Potential Energy