1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and energy without friction

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A physics student shoves a 0.50-kg block from the bottom of a frictionless 30.0° inclined plane. The student performs 4.0 J of work and the block slides a distance s along the incline before it stops. Determine the value of s in cm.

2. Relevant equations

W=(Fcostheta)s

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the problem we have the weight of the block the degree of the incline and the work done. i was wondering how I would find F cause wouldnt W=4.0J cos=30.0.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The energy only depends on the vertical distance traveled.
    Find that from W=mgh and then simple trig gives you the distance along the slope

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Don't worry about trying to figure out the force that the student exerted (assuming that's what you mean by F). You don't have enough information and it's not needed anyway.

Hint: Use conservation of energy.

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4
    I did W=mgh
    4.0J=(0.50kg)(9.80)h

Im still getting the wrong answer am i using the wrong equation or an error in my math

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5

Doc Al

That equation will give you the height, which is the first step. Now use a bit of trig (as mgb_phys said) to find the distance along the incline that corresponds to that height.

7. Apr 8, 2009 #6
    i get 180 cm is this correct

8. Apr 8, 2009 #7

Doc Al

No. Show the steps you used to get that result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook