Work by a Spring Force - Understanding Uinitial and Ufinal

In summary, the spring transfers energy from the initial position to the final position. The work done by the spring is the negative change in potential energy. The conservation of mechanical energy holds and the sum of the two energies is equal to zero.
hquang001
1614514129347.png

Here it writes Wby spring= Uinitial - Ufinal. So is it equal to opposite of the change in potential energy ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can ask yourself, The work of the spring, on who is done? Well the increase or decrease in energy of that system depending on whether the potential of the decrease or increases, why? because when you include the spring as part of the system and you assume that the energy only transforms and does not escape from the system.

##E_f = W_r + E_i##

That is, ##\Delta E = W_r##

But the one that delivers energy from the spring does so as a function of decreasing its potential and vice versa

##W = -\Delta U_r##

Then the conservation of mechanical energy holds

##\Delta E + \Delta U_r = 0##

Likes hquang001
hquang001 said:
Here it writes Wby spring= Uinitial - Ufinal. So is it equal to opposite of the change in potential energy ?
Think of potential energy as "money in the bank"; and, work done as money you spend.

Money spent = initial balance - final balance

Likes sophiecentaur and hquang001
You can also simply use the equation of motion,
$$m \ddot{x}=-k x=-\frac{k}{2} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} x} (x^2).$$
Now multiply this equation with ##\dot{x}## and integrate the result from ##t_1## to ##t_2##. What do you get?

vanhees71 said:
You can also simply use the equation of motion,
$$m \ddot{x}=-k x=-\frac{k}{2} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} x} (x^2).$$
Now multiply this equation with ##\dot{x}## and integrate the result from ##t_1## to ##t_2##. What do you get?
Sorry but this is quite complicated for me, I've never seen this

PeroK said:
Think of potential energy as "money in the bank"; and, work done as money you spend.

Money spent = initial balance - final balance
So work done equal negative change of potential energy
and in case of kinetic energy, work done is equal to the change of kinetic energy
am i correct ?

hquang001 said:
and in case of kinetic energy, work done is equal to the change of kinetic energy
am i correct ?
I never liked these general soundbites about work and energy. I prefer to think in terms of concrete examples:

A block sliding down a frictionless ramp; a block sliding down a ramp with friction.

I see the rules as reflecting the phenomena, not the other way round.

Last edited:
Likes hquang001 and Richard R Richard
hquang001 said:
am i correct ?
It would only be true if there are no other possible potentials of other forces or interactions that could be altered in the system, that is why I understand that @PeroK does not like the idea of defining it that way very much and I share his concern.
So if no other potential is altered and you also maintain idealized statement conditions such as no friction, then ##\Delta K + \Delta W_r = 0##

Likes hquang001 and PeroK
Richard R Richard said:
It would only be true if there are no other possible potentials of other forces or interactions that could be altered in the system, that is why I understand that @PeroK does not like the idea of defining it that way very much and I share his concern.
So if no other potential is altered and you also maintain idealized statement conditions such as no friction, then ##\Delta K + \Delta W_r = 0##
Oh ok
Thank you

hquang001 said:
So is it equal to opposite of the change in potential energy ?
It's probably a good idea to think in terms of Energy being conserved (ignore any friction within the spring, which can change things anyway). Energy that's transferred from the extended spring (change in potential Energy) must all turn up in the device it's driving. If you do the process slowly enough (quasi-statically) then all the Energy from ('work done by ') the spring has to be 'done on' the driven device and you can ignore any Kinetic Energy.

hquang001 said:
Sorry but this is quite complicated for me, I've never seen this
The equations that have been written here will only apply to a simple, ideal spring (Hooke's Law) and the appropriate equations would actually be a lot more complicated, But there is no real need ( at least for starters) to understand the Maths in order to get the basic idea. People can get very bothered when Integral Signs turn up and can lose the message. Having said that, it's not possible to get much further without getting into the Maths so I am not offering you a free pass to avoid Maths for long.

Likes hquang001

1. What is work by a spring force?

Work by a spring force refers to the energy exerted on an object by a spring as it is stretched or compressed. This energy can be calculated by multiplying the force of the spring by the distance it moves.

2. What is Uinitial and Ufinal?

Uinitial and Ufinal are the initial and final potential energies of an object when acted upon by a spring force. Uinitial represents the potential energy of the object before it is moved, while Ufinal represents the potential energy after it has been moved by the spring force.

3. How do you calculate Uinitial and Ufinal?

Uinitial and Ufinal can be calculated using the formula U = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. Uinitial can also be calculated as the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of the object before it is moved by the spring force.

4. What is the relationship between Uinitial and Ufinal?

The relationship between Uinitial and Ufinal is that Ufinal is always greater than Uinitial when a spring force is applied to an object. This is because the spring force adds energy to the object, increasing its potential energy.

5. How does understanding Uinitial and Ufinal help in analyzing spring forces?

Understanding Uinitial and Ufinal allows for the calculation of the work done by a spring force, which can help determine the amount of energy transferred to an object. It also helps in understanding the relationship between potential energy and the displacement of the object, which can be useful in predicting the behavior of the spring force.