Work done by liquid's frictional viscosity

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a 0.75 sphere is dropped through a tall column of liquid and its resulting velocity and potential energy are observed. The concept of potential energy is explained, with the final position of the sphere used as the reference. The role of liquid friction in slowing down the sphere and the equation for calculating the work done by friction are also discussed.
imatreyu

Homework Statement

A 0.75 sphere is dropped through a tall column of liquid. When the sphere has fallen a distance of 2.0 m, it is observed t have a velocity of 2.5 m/s. How much work was done by the frictional viscosity of the liquid?

PLEASE EXPLAIN-- I really would like to understand this concept! My review book says that intial energy is entirely potential, and it sounds like final energy is kinetic-- but isn't there PE finally as well? I'm not sure. . . Could someone just explain this situation to me? As in, what happens in terms of energy/ work/ etc?

Thank you, in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy is always calculated w.r.t. a reference. What your review book is doing is taking the final position of the sphere as the reference. Relative to that, the initial P.E. of the sphere is simply m g (2.0). The final P.E. is zero because it is at its reference position.

Therefore, initially energy is entirely potential, and finally it is entirely kinetic.

Oh thank you! I totally forgot about that.

Still though, I really don't understand what's going on in terms of the liquid's friction and work and energy in the system. What does the liquid friction work against?

The liquid friction works to slow down the sphere. The final velocity of the sphere is therefore lesser than it would have been had it been thrown downwards in the air. In terms of equations, this simply means

Initial P.E = Final K.E. + Work done by friction

Oh, thank you so much! You really cleared it up for me.

1. What is work done by liquid's frictional viscosity?

The work done by liquid's frictional viscosity refers to the energy that is dissipated or lost due to the resistance of a liquid to flow. This can happen when a liquid is in motion, such as when it is flowing through a pipe or when an object is moving through the liquid.

2. How is work done by liquid's frictional viscosity calculated?

The work done by liquid's frictional viscosity is calculated by multiplying the force of the liquid's viscosity by the distance that the liquid travels. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force of viscosity, and d is the distance.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done by liquid's frictional viscosity?

The amount of work done by liquid's frictional viscosity can be affected by several factors, including the velocity of the liquid, the viscosity of the liquid, and the surface area of the object in contact with the liquid. Additionally, the density and temperature of the liquid can also impact the amount of work done.

4. Why is work done by liquid's frictional viscosity important to understand?

Understanding the work done by liquid's frictional viscosity is important in many practical applications. For example, it can help engineers design more efficient pipelines or hydraulic systems, as well as improve the performance of ships and other objects moving through liquids.

5. How can the effects of work done by liquid's frictional viscosity be minimized?

The effects of work done by liquid's frictional viscosity can be minimized by using materials with lower viscosity, reducing the velocity of the liquid, and optimizing the design of the system to minimize surface area in contact with the liquid. Other methods, such as adding lubricants or using specialized coatings, can also help reduce the effects of frictional viscosity.