1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done in Adiabatic, Quasistatic-compression

1. May 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i have to find the W done in an Adiabatic, Quasistatic compression and im not having much luck.

Ive calculated it using (delta)U = Q + W, since Q = 0, hence W = change in internal energy

However i want to calculate it using W = -(delta)P*V

3. The attempt at a solution

My working is attached, my text just says to use W = delta(U), but i know there is a way to do it via pressure and volume, im just not sure where to go from where im at.

Attempt is attached

Untitled-Scanned-03.jpg

Has to be in terms of TA, n (moles) and R

Cheers Trent

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2009 #2
    I assume we are talking about perfect gases so that indeed [tex]p V^\gamma = const [/tex] for a quasistatic, adiabatic process :p

[tex]

-\int_{V_C}^{V_A} p dV =

\left\{ p V^\gamma = const \right\}=

-\int_{V_C}^{V_A} const \cdot \frac{dV}{V^\gamma}

[/tex]

Determine [tex] const [/tex] from the conditions at A.

4. May 16, 2009 #3
    I got it finally thanks heeps but i got it using conditions at "c" our starting point, (PCVCgamma = PVgamma, rearranged for P = and solved from ther) not "A", im assuming u meant "c"???

5. May 16, 2009 #4
    Oopsie, yes I meant "C" , it's the point where you know P and V to start with. Sorry, I always think that A comes before C when I'm not thinking :P:P

Though now that you said, . . . it's also true that you know P and V of point A too, so you could use any:) of course, they've given you two points such that :
    [tex]

p V^\gamma = const1

[/tex]
    and
    [tex]

T V^{\gamma-1}= const2

[/tex]
    with
    [tex]

\gamma=5/2

[/tex]
    because if this was not so it wouldn't be a reversible, adiabatic process.

6. May 17, 2009 #5
    thanks and good point, just trierd it the other way and it works :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook