1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done moving charge near a line of charge

1. Mar 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much work (in J) is required to bring a charge of 2 microC from the point {2*6.8,-7,2*1.1}cm via the point {10,20,1}cm to the point {-3*6.8,3.4,-3*1.1}cm, in a medium with relative permittivity of 3.7, near a line charge along x=6.8 cm, z=1.1 cm, with charge density +329 microC/m? (Hint: what is the sign of the answer? Note that * simply means scalar multiplication)

2. Relevant equations
    V= integral (E.dl) yields V=(charge/length)ln(R)/(2pi(relative permittivity)
    W=Q(deltaV)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to calculate the voltage at the first point but get a huge number assuming the line of point charges is acting as a cylindrical charge at the first point then same for middle point and last then using W=Q(deltaV).

No success.

Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Do I even need to consider the middle point?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2
    you have three points and a charge to be carried -the possible way is to calculate the potential due to line of charge(a finite distribution)
    the way is to break the line distribution in 'small elements' and calculate the resultant field by adding and/ integrating along the full line so that all charges are accounted for and then proceed further.
    i do not understand how you write the expression for potential and what is R?

4. Mar 13, 2016 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Please show your work instead of just describing it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted